Author Topic: New Website, Criticism Appreciated  (Read 2325 times)

die_dunkelheit

• View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 18
New Website, Criticism Appreciated
« on: October 18, 2016, 07:09:54 PM »
Finally got my website put together, a few things are going to change but it's pretty much complete. Not all of our products are listed, so a lot more of them are coming, but they will follow the existing product pages as a template. There is no shopping cart system here, this is more of a catalog or portfolio of our stuff.

ghostactual.com

Known issues:
Contact form PHP file is broke, so the contact form gives an error when sending.
Facebook and other social media links at the bottom are dead while I get the accounts setup and looking pretty.
It may load kind of funky while Java is taking over, I'm working on this as well as making a non-Java version that will load first if the user don't have Java enabled.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 268
Re: New Website, Criticism Appreciated
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 09:59:32 PM »
Had a quick browse. I like the modern look/layout. Don't know if I like the side opening pages...but it's easy enough to navigate. Are you going to be adding a cart?

Migo

• View Profile
    • Downrange.de
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 10:29:41 PM »
I'm always struggeling with this big pictures in the headers. They are looking nice and fancy but I'm hating the scrolling and searching the information I need and want to know.
You know, I'm the kind of technicool guy (even when I worked several years in the marketing) and I like the professional presentation of a product that speeks for itself and not the grandstanding of brand/company.

- Migo

die_dunkelheit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 10:39:46 PM »
I'm always struggeling with this big pictures in the headers. They are looking nice and fancy but I'm hating the scrolling and searching the information I need and want to know.
You know, I'm the kind of technicool guy (even when I worked several years in the marketing) and I like the professional presentation of a product that speeks for itself and not the grandstanding of brand/company.

- Migo

So, is it that the image slider automatically slides? And the scrolling you hate, is that when clicking "products" and the page scrolls?
You lost me on the grandstanding part, are you saying that my page is or is not grandstanding?

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 11:05:51 PM »
It loaded fine on my IPad, I was wanting your 4 bubble pictures to be clickable, showing me a larger version or more info.
Looking good, kinda makes me want to scrap mine.  ;D.
Scott

Migo

• View Profile
    • Downrange.de
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 12:42:48 AM »
So, is it that the image slider automatically slides? And the scrolling you hate, is that when clicking "products" and the page scrolls?
You lost me on the grandstanding part, are you saying that my page is or is not grandstanding?
Focus on the product not on the brand/company image.
I mean you waste 4/5 of the screen to a picture that didn't even get a good look to a product. To get the view to some real informations I have to scroll down.
What I mean with the grandstanding --> "too much". Personally I like more details of products, more benefits, detail view.

die_dunkelheit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 04:33:04 AM »
Focus on the product not on the brand/company image.
I mean you waste 4/5 of the screen to a picture that didn't even get a good look to a product. To get the view to some real informations I have to scroll down.
What I mean with the grandstanding --> "too much". Personally I like more details of products, more benefits, detail view.

Understood.
More detailed photos of the products followed by to the point descriptions...

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »
I don't like the whole thing that happens when I click Product, it takes me too long to see what you have. What I mean is that the function of the site is slow.. Can you speed up the function?
I'm also no fan of the whole Product tab appearance, can it be a part of the front page? So that one of the scroll positions is load bearing, one is belts etc. etc. If you can, then I'd keep the first "slide" as an overview of all products (with links of their place bellow), then intelligent design bellow it, then product slides with 1 slide per category and then the about stuff.

It is a trendy setup, but I'm not sure if the platform itself is the best choice if what you are looking for is sales.

What software is this?

Patchpanel

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 08:03:28 AM »
The only thing I'd focus on is your load times.

When starting out, a pretty website is far less important than most people think. Your website only works so well if there's no one on it. I'd focus more on how you're going to get shoppers on the site.

Credibility - 10 years of Ecomm experience with over $6mil in sales. Most of this experience is not in THIS industry, but the fundamentals are always the same.

Get people on the site, provide great content to keep them on the site. This will turn into purchases.