Author Topic: Kryptek Licencing  (Read 3709 times)

17SG

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 8
Kryptek Licencing
« on: October 21, 2016, 07:08:25 AM »
I recently contacted Kryptek in an effort to purchase fabric direct from them. They informed me that they are no longer selling fabric outright to manufacturers. They now require licencing to purchase their patterns.

After I conveyed the fact that I did not need an entire truckload of Cordura they stopped returning my emails. So my question is, does anyone have any idea what their licencing fees are or what their minimums are?
17sierragear.com

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
Re: Kryptek Licencing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 09:02:53 AM »
I do not. It might be worth calling brookwoods roll goods. They sell 75 yard rolls, but sometimes have smaller ones. Additionally, they might be able to give you a little info on the licensing.
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

Migo

• View Profile
    • Downrange.de
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 09:39:37 AM »
Heard some rumours that Kryptek was askenig resellers of their fabrics for licence fees - because they didn't get profit from the finished goods.  ::)

17SG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 10:01:08 AM »
I do not. It might be worth calling brookwoods roll goods. They sell 75 yard rolls, but sometimes have smaller ones. Additionally, they might be able to give you a little info on the licensing.

I talked to them a month or two back and the only information they would give me is I needed permission to purchase Kryptek. I don't understand their logic (Kryptek). I understand they have had issues with Chinese manufactures pirating their patterns before. They have a popular product I get it. So by making their patterns harder to get they are just encouraging copycats to push their fake goods. Seems like they are standing in a bucket trying to pick themselves up by the handle.....  :o
17sierragear.com

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 10:31:04 AM »
Did you ask them about how to go about licensing? Because unless it's free, they are shooting themselves in the foot.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

17SG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »
They gave me a link to fill out a licencing request form. But mentioned that my need for fabric would have to be "substantial". I asked what was considered substantial and never got a response. As far as licensing my best guess is that there is a "substantial" fee involved. Basically equates to "pay me so you can pay me".
17sierragear.com

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
I recently contacted Kryptek in an effort to purchase fabric direct from them. They informed me that they are no longer selling fabric outright to manufacturers. They now require licencing to purchase their patterns.

After I conveyed the fact that I did not need an entire truckload of Cordura they stopped returning my emails. So my question is, does anyone have any idea what their licencing fees are or what their minimums are?
Are you wanting to purchase 500d or 1,000d Cordura, that is generally in stock at Brookwoods?
Scott

17SG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 02:52:24 PM »
500D, but like I said Brookwood will not sell it to me without Kryptek's permission.
17sierragear.com

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 03:20:35 PM »
It sounds like this is opening up a good market for someone to get a license and start selling it on ebay...
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

gearmaker.org

• gearmaker.org
  • Administrator
  • gearmaker.org
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 83
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 04:55:28 PM »
500D, but like I said Brookwood will not sell it to me without Kryptek's permission.

There's a disconnect somewhere.  It sounds like you're saying Brookwood refuses to sell you rolls of 500D Kryptek Highlander, Typhon, Mandrake, etc.  Is that correct?

17SG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 06:28:55 PM »
That is correct. When I initially contacted Brookwood, I inquired about various Multicam and Kryptek patterns. They said MC was no problem but Kryptek required permission to purchase. Has anyone here purchased Kryptek from Brookwood recently? Or has it been awhile?
17sierragear.com

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 01:43:34 PM »
I have been buying Kryptek for almost 3 years and I kind of remember having to give my credentials before my first purchase, since then I simply place my order with Brookwoods and they normally ship within one day. You might consider writing a well crafted letter to Kryptek explaining who you are and what you intend to do with their fabric. I purchased a roll of 1,000d Highlander last month and my transaction was no different then my past ones.
Just an FYI, I was also asked to give my credentials before a company would sell me "Made in USA" labels, so this may be normal for the industry.

Scott

17SG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 06:46:55 AM »
I think I may give it another shot. As far as credentials, do you just send them an EIN? I am not sure what else would be considered credentials.
17sierragear.com

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 09:05:44 AM »
I think I may give it another shot. As far as credentials, do you just send them an EIN? I am not sure what else would be considered credentials.
A disclaimer, I am no expert and everything I know about this industry is either from the guidance of others or trial and error.
When I try to get lined up with a new supplier, I send a letter introducing myself and my company's website, I included a brief history and my vision for the future. I suggest not laying it on to thick as I'm sure they get plenty of enquiries and trash the ones that don't interest them. With this being said, I have sent letters to companies and have spoken to sales people that acted very interested and agreed to send samples out right away, never to hear from them again.
As a person in sales, I would think that these people would be happy to sell to everyone, but that is not the case, they know that they have a unique product and if you don't fit into their scheme you get "nothing". (My personal goal is to grow my business until these people start sending me letters wanting me to use their product). LOL
These are just my thoughts and others deeper in this industry may be willing to share their insight.
Scott

Patchpanel

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 07:16:01 AM »
In a slightly related note. Anyone here interested in selling 5 yards of each of the Kryptek patterns? :)