Author Topic: For someone new to sewing...  (Read 2147 times)

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
For someone new to sewing...
« on: November 07, 2016, 09:20:49 PM »
There is a young man who goes to my Church that is interested in learning how to sew to make a little extra money, and I told him I would give him some lessons.

What would some good beginner projects be?  I'm looking for something that can be done on a home machine, and doesn't use a billion types of materials. I was thinking maybe rifle slings, and maybe GP pouches?

Chuck
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: For someone new to sewing...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 09:27:22 PM »
I'm not sure what I would recommend, for a home machine. I guess I would have to know what machine first, since most won't have enough foot lift or tension.
Scott

17SG

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:54:51 PM »
How about a hammock? Very entry level, ripstop nylon would be no problem for a home machine, and he can enjoy it for a long time!
17sierragear.com

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 10:19:31 PM »
There are tons of things that can be built on a home machine, for the most part it just requires a bit of ingenuity to avoid heavy build-ups.

If he has no interest in tactical gear, I'd have him do a very simple backpack (civie Jansport style). They are perfect because they are a mix of geometric and organic shapes, they have zippers and they have padded shoulder straps which all are useful skills for other types of sewing/designs. It's also useful so that he can use it in his daily life.
If you want a drone for your business, have him sew PALs grids until he pukes- other incredible repetitive tasks suck as boxes and Box-X stitches are also acceptable as they are the really painful parts of manufacturing.

And to learn how to control the machine, print out a "maze" on paper (single line) that he has to sew on top of. When those are perfect, do the same but with curves and the last ones are plain spiraling circle. That will teach him how to control the machine better than any project ever will.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

sssss

• View Profile
    • Worse for Wear
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 08:09:07 AM »
I would suggest simple zippered pouches to start if he's brand new to sewing. They're pretty easy to sew, and he can start building his fabric control skills. They also don't take a lot of material. He can use your scraps, or can easily find heavy fabric and zippers at JoAnn or the other home sewing stores. See how he does with that, and then find out what he's interested in sewing next.
Co-founder of Worse for Wear

GoBliNuke

• View Profile
    • Ironbound Concepts
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 10:41:49 AM »
Something with damn corners.

Pyrofx

• View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 10:43:31 AM »
Go with the drop Pouch how to video you did. I made a few of those for my first project  with the new 1541 to see water it liked and didnt. Then a single mag pouch. BTW.. where did the second video go on the pouch? 
Maybe grocery bags for Christmas gifts.
Greg

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »
I like the idea of a grocery bag, It's very useful and the build ups aren't too big.
I have a few that I use everyday for taking packages to the post office.
Scott

BergspitzeCustoms

• View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 03:37:20 PM »
Every time someone asks me for pointers on learning to sew, I tell them to start with following simple YouTube tutorials.   Things like a basic pencil case or toiletries bag teaches you a LOT of fundamentals if you take the time to do it properly.
When you boil it down, learning to sew is far less glamorous than sewing gear like most of us do, and very few people are willing to put in the time it takes to learn the skills before the projects get "cool".

ViktorHUN

• View Profile
    • Little Needle Facebook Page
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 08:11:39 AM »
For fabric control and needle positioning practices, there are these templates also: CLICK HERE.

Little Needle

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 10:27:03 PM »
All, thanks for the fabulous suggestions, links, and videos.  The paper exercise is a good one I haven't thought of before.  The home machine I am going to start him on can handle 8 layers of 1000 denier Cordura and a layer of 55301 on a good day, and can punch about 12 layers of 500 denier as well.

I will probably start him off with some basics and stitching exercises, and hopefully have him do a simple zipper box pouch (Melanie Ham style) for the first day.  Hopefully from there, we will move onto a GP pouch and then a simple assault pack.

Thanks again!

Chuck
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

baconfatlabs

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 02:53:48 PM »
This thread is a bit old, but I actually taught my wife and daughter to sew and wanted to share what worked for us.  They don't use my walking foot but we also have a Pfaff machine made for quilting (Oddly, I bought it for my wife about 9 years ago and she JUST recently powered it on).  Scarfs and pillows were what we started with because they both use long stitching to help teach straight lines and staying within a seam allowance, as well as how to approach and round (or turn) a corner.  In our case, the scarf I had them make were fleece, and the support stitching was zig zag, so they learned about how the settings on the machine could be manipulated to make different stitch widths and lengths.
Bacon Fat Labs
"The best use of fat since bacon"
http://www.baconfatlabs.com