Author Topic: Integrated admin commo pouch  (Read 1673 times)

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 52
Integrated admin commo pouch
« on: December 28, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
These are pics of the final sample to proof out dimensions.  Next comes adding all the little bits like elastic loops, paracord loops, refining the drawbridge paracord setup, zipper counter pulls, etc.

In an effort to minimize exposure of the radio to the elements, laser cut Hypalon ports are used for antenna, speaker mic, etc, etc.  A port on the rear of the pouch was included in anticipation of developing a centralized power solution.  Clamshell radio compartment opens up to 90 with the radio facing the user for easy access.  The admin compartment in front of the radio offers additional protection from bumps and impacts

The radio is secured in the pouch with adhesive Velcro coins stuck to the back of the radio.  After exploring Hypalon, paracord, and shockcord solutions, it was evident that hook and loop is a fantastic solution for the application.  Spare batteries, with hook coins mounted, can be secured in the radio or admin compartment.

Front admin compartment can hold the usual things.  In an effort to minimize pouch cost, the admin compartment is lined with loop to accept any hook insert/organizer.

This is the prelude to an open source backpack :D

Globe

• View Profile
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Integrated admin commo pouch
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 07:35:22 AM »
The Hypalon Ports are GENIUS.

Right before I read this post, I was on Soldier Systems and I was reading an article about Natick seeking a new Rucksack for jungle use. As I was reading it, I was building the pack in my head... as I'm sure everyone here would have been doing! As I read the requirement for drainage to be built into all pockets on the pack, I thought about how much I hate setting grommets and wondered if there would be a better way for the Home DIY guys to sew in a simple drainage solution. I see these antenna ports as that solution.

Also, I can't wait for the open source backpack project.

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 12:11:40 PM »
The Hypalon Ports are GENIUS.

Right before I read this post, I was on Soldier Systems and I was reading an article about Natick seeking a new Rucksack for jungle use. As I was reading it, I was building the pack in my head... as I'm sure everyone here would have been doing! As I read the requirement for drainage to be built into all pockets on the pack, I thought about how much I hate setting grommets and wondered if there would be a better way for the Home DIY guys to sew in a simple drainage solution. I see these antenna ports as that solution.

Also, I can't wait for the open source backpack project.

Thanks!

There's an intelligent Hypalon drainage grommet alternative...  it's just waiting for someone to figure it out :)

Open source backpack project here- http://gearmaker.org/index.php?topic=109.0

WPJ

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 07:38:41 PM »
Nice work, looks like the admin pouch also opens fairly wide as well a huge plus.  Seems that tree might be enough room left over for a small GPS as well. Great work.