Author Topic: Sewing mag pouch splitters/dividers  (Read 2522 times)

ViktorHUN

• View Profile
    • Little Needle Facebook Page
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 45
Sewing mag pouch splitters/dividers
« on: November 22, 2016, 06:49:44 AM »
Hello,

We got a request to remove a triple SA-80, STANAG 30 rounds mag pouich from the below linked British vest, and sew up a new triple, AK-47 mag compatible mag pouch. The project seems to be simple, but I had to realize that I have no idea how to sew in two splitters into one pouch. Can you help me me out with the instructions please? Do we need any special machinery for this?

Source and more images: http://combatgear.blog.hu/2011/12/26/general_purpose_ops_waistcoat

Thank you, Viktor

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:32:43 AM by ViktorHUN »
Little Needle

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
Re: Sewing mag pouch splitters/dividers
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 06:58:43 AM »
If you are going to disassemble the pouch after removal, you could just sew in the putter divider first, then the inner one. If you done want to disassemble the pouch, you could use a singer model 29 ( or other model 29 clone).

I picked up one that is about 100 years old.  I mainly use it for sewing velcro to pouches that are already assembled, and I used it to repair a pair of my boots once.

Skip to 13:30 to see how the walking foot changes direction.

Also, if you want to sew patches on sleeves, this is the machine to use.

Chuck
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

ViktorHUN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 07:32:16 AM »
Thanks Chuck! Really nice machine there! I love the possibility to change the direction!

In our case we'll just remove the current mag pouch and will create a new one for AK mags starting from scratch.
So I guess, the order of stitching is the following, BEFORE forming the bottom of the pouch and sewing up the pouch to the vest of course:

The splitters will be sewed to the sides of the pouch and not to the bottom of it. We'll nee a lot of marks on the fabric and I guess we'll just try it with scrap fabric first. :D

Little Needle

BergspitzeCustoms

• View Profile
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 09:15:27 AM »
Not to completely derail the "how do I do it" topic, but sometimes, the tools at your disposal can make a HUGE difference in how you go about things.  I have actually put in the pouch dividers in a couple pouches for people, without taking it apart, thanks to the most recent addition to the shop.

I get a lot of requests for projects that require internal-area modifications/repairs like this, and for many of them, it was impossible for me to disassemble/reassemble the item (backpacks especially).  About a year ago I invested in a Consew 29BL, which is a more modern version of the Singer that Chuck posted about.  Needless to say, it was a game changer for me.  I do a lot of RAID modified military uniforms, and this machine makes it incredibly simple.  There was a learning curve to it, even after a year, I'm still getting the hang of using it for different applications, but the rotating presser foot is AMAZING.

gearmaker.org

• gearmaker.org
  • Administrator
  • gearmaker.org
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 10:13:04 AM »
<snip> the tools at your disposal can make a HUGE difference in how you go about things.  I have actually put in the pouch dividers in a couple pouches for people, without taking it apart, thanks to the most recent addition to the shop.<snip>

Thanks for sharing that.  Great examples :)

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 10:31:47 AM »
Thanks Chuck! Really nice machine there! I love the possibility to change the direction!

In our case we'll just remove the current mag pouch and will create a new one for AK mags starting from scratch.
So I guess, the order of stitching is the following, BEFORE forming the bottom of the pouch and sewing up the pouch to the vest of course
dingdingdingding!!!
However, the vest have internal pockets, how will you not sew them shut without a specialty machine? I turned down modifying a fuckton (~500) similar vests simply because it wasn't possible to keep the pocket open with a flatbed machine. Or maybe it was because the original manufacturer (!!!!) thought I could do it for cheap...

I'll stay on my "modifying gear sucks and is never worth it for anyone", but at least it's a bit less painful with proper machinery.

Edit:
Here is a PSA from 762 Tactical which is relevant to this topic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9571e1jM-E
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

ViktorHUN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 11:17:06 AM »
Thank you everyone for joining this discussion!

@Essal: next to our old East German Textima Altin needle transport flatbed we have a JUKI DSC-246 older version freearm. These are our options for now in terms of machinery.
If this particular milsim airsofter guy will accept the price quote, then we'll try to do magic with the JUKI via the zippered opening of the big internal pockets and we'll even dismount the vest if needed to be able to sew up the new pouch. Yes, a lot of work, but Little Needle is really small (my wife and me +  a very bad dog), we need starter projects like this to became known within the different subcultures using military gear here in Hungary. This is good for practicing also.

Looking into the video... yeah, I'll just ask the guy to forget about the dividers. :D

Cheers, V
Little Needle

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 12:18:30 PM »
I declined the offer in my last post before I even had my company registered :-X Not saying it was a good decision but I have a huge aversion to doing things that I don't like- also I'm a horrible business man.

I get the idea of simply having projects to get the word out, but I do believe that modifying gear is digging a hole, do 1 good modification for cheap and you'll have 100 dudes at your door expecting more complex modifications for the same price. It's not really sustainable as a business, unless you get people to pay you a fair hourly wage which in my experience is hard.

My suggestion to get around the entire issue of modifying gear is to suggest that you'll build the guy a custom vest/chestrig instead. Here you can give him a discount simply to get your name out there. In my opinion, I'd rather have my name out there as the guy who builds kick-ass custom rigs rather than the guy who modifies old gear.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:18:27 PM by essal »
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

stimpy

• View Profile
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 12:28:14 PM »
I understand essals point about not doing modification work. But i understand viktor as well seeing that i am a small hobbyist trying to get bigger. Not everybody has the ability to invest heavily in goods and equipment. So every dollar earned that can go into making the business grow is welcome.. just don't do it for cheap, I have an hourly rate that i charge plus materials. So if i am doing repairs/modifications. Or selling 1 of my own products. The money made will be the same. A lot of good clients that i have now started as a guy who wanted a mod/repair. 

About your divider problem. A shoe mender( the thing several people posted a picture of) is a pretty nice tool to have. And it does not yave to be expensive. I bought one for about 150€. It was a chinese import. Made out of cast iron and it is heavy as f... that thing was worth its money for sure. It can get in a lot of places other machines cant. Especially if you need to modificate already existing products.
If

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 03:47:19 AM »
When I sew dividers in new pouches, I first sew the dividers in on one side, then the bottom corner on the same side, then the bottom corner opposite side, then the dividers on the opposite side. This way is the easiest to handle.