Author Topic: Whiskey Two Four laser cut Skirt belt panel Multicam  (Read 1816 times)

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 52
Whiskey Two Four laser cut Skirt belt panel Multicam
« on: November 25, 2016, 07:24:17 PM »
Laser cut from WTF's exclusive Advanced Composite Rugged Optimized NYlon Material.  2.3oz / 65g.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 265
Re: Whiskey Two Four laser cut Skirt belt panel Multicam
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 12:15:31 PM »
With the amount of gear someone could load up on that, is Velcro enough to hold it on there? Is there another component? What's the hole in the middle for?

WhiskeyTwoFour

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 12:00:16 PM »
With the amount of gear someone could load up on that, is Velcro enough to hold it on there? Is there another component? What's the hole in the middle for?

About the hole- tactile and visual reference for centering the panel with the corresponding hole on the belt adapter.

Just because one can does not necessarily mean one should overload a body, aircraft, load bearing equipment, etc.  From http://gearmaker.org/index.php?topic=1002.0 ->

Are you comfortable with velcro holding all the weight? Maybe add another of those one-wrap retention straps in the middle of the panel..? I can't help but feel like 3 mags in the middle will flop around and pull the velcro loose behind the mags. Although, maybe because the velcro is attached around a radius that won't be a problem.

Good question!  Totally comfortable.  If it were turned 90, the One-Wrap tabs were omitted, and it hung vertically on a wall, the panel could easily peel away.

Think semi monocoque airframe.  The skin and bulkheads, on their own, aren't nearly as strong as when the skin's stressed across bulkhead(s).  Curves and compound curves further strengthen the assembled components.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 04:20:52 PM »
I get that. Velcro has great sheer strength, but my concern is that coupled with the weight someone *might* load it up with, AND the fact that it looses its grip when dirty (or high use), it may start to detach and sag.

WhiskeyTwoFour

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 04:55:00 PM »
I get that. Velcro has great sheer strength, but my concern is that coupled with the weight someone *might* load it up with, AND the fact that it looses its grip when dirty (or high use), it may start to detach and sag.

I have every expectation the hook and loop will eventually fail for those reasons and probably others.  As for overloading, I expect too that at least a few human turrets will fill every channel and column

Everything design is a series of trade offs.  Hook and loop is a means to an end for lighter weight, improved manufacturability, and ease of donning and doffing.  We could make a super extra mega durable part that's heavier and more expensive but then no one would buy it.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 05:50:13 PM »
Got any pictures of it worn with pouches?