Author Topic: Simple pack design  (Read 2479 times)

rouge

• View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
Simple pack design
« on: December 11, 2016, 01:58:42 PM »
Heya chaps
This is one of the first final designs of a pack i want to produce and sell.
My aim is to produce gear inspired by tactical gear......i want it to maintain the long lasting and functional aspects of good tac gear
But i want to remove the less necessary features and the large cost.
I love my warrior pack here but the cost is difficult to swallow and theres an awfull lot i could cut out of the pack.........though in fairness this pack is designed for a soldier and im not one.

I settled on this it holds about 20l or so, its good for a day at work or a small day trip, it has one main compartment and a laptop sleeve on the inside its made of 1000d.
I put foam in the back to protect items and provide structure for the bag and made foam stuffed shoulder straps....i haven't added spacer mesh or a sternum strap as i dont think 20l is heavy enough to warrant these features
Ive built it this way to keep the number of matireals needed in the pack to a minimum
Cordura
1 inch webing
foam
velcro
strap adjusters
paracord

apologies for the poor picture qaulity!!!!

In the future i want to only use Velcro and drawstring closure and i want to keep the front section clear and neat, i wasn't keen on the drawstring part sheath being made of 1000d as it is so stiff but after a few uses it actually wears quite nicely and helps provide structure to the opening when the top isn't drawn close
The only things ive considered adding are possibly a Velcro panel on the flap for pouches a drag/pickup handle for the back and maybe a small exterior pouch at the front bottom to keep small items separate

It needs refining but im fairly happy and im going to save for a purpose made binder so that i can finish them properly and market them
What do you guys think .......worth putting any more effort in .......how could i improve without out adding extra components and cost?

stimpy

• View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Simple pack design
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 03:22:20 PM »
I am not a fan of the velcro closure. If the pack is well built, the velcro will fail before the pack has worn out. I would replace it with an other option.

GoBliNuke

• View Profile
    • Ironbound Concepts
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 09:52:42 AM »
The method of attaching straps (from above to bottom) I consider somethat questionable. Maybe effective, though.

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 10:36:26 AM »
I agree with the strap comment. It may be effective, but the way it is, you are only loading one row of stitching, not the whole box x pattern.
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 02:16:31 PM »
Just a comment on your design intent, I don't personally think you're hitting the mark. A simple pack doesn't become military inspired just because it's build with camo fabric. I do think the PIG Runt Urban, MRC Summit pack and the First-Spear EPC/Comms pack do a great job of having a military/tactical style without going over board with webbing and features- but you need something to make the connection.
http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Runt-Urban-Pack-p/pig.702.htm
http://www.skdtac.com/FirstSpear-ECP-Pack-p/fsr.514.htm

So applied to your pack, if you'd extend the webbing up to the back with a PALS spacing I think you'd have a pack to looks way more tactical than what you currently have. But you need more parts. Making it 2 tone (black and DPM) would make it overall look way more military inspired rather than just military.

Hope I make any sense at all.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

rouge

• View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 01:56:25 PM »
I see what you mean about the straps guys .....im not using the full box x just the bottom 2 rows .....so if it fails the whole thing will start peeljng back ......ill try it in reverse !!!
I need to run some tests at somepoint i think

Those are pretty sweet packs essal.....i should do something to jazz them up ....im still thinking about molle on the front.
Tbh im more interested in using mil-spec matireals and build methods and such and such .....i think if the overall appearance was more ''civilian'' i wouldnt mind