Author Topic: QD Panel for Vest  (Read 5387 times)

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 259
  • Likes Given: 254
Re: QD Panel for Vest
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 02:57:04 PM »
It's really not an awesome design. Aside from the poor layout, the front cummerbund Velcro hook hangs down below the corresponding loop resulting in the hook being exposed to the body. The LARGE cummerbund flap is unwieldily when loaded out with pouches, making the vest more difficult than it needs to be when donning and doffing. If I had access to the "navy" coloured fabric that the company used, I might consider making a replacement front, but I'd prefer to give them a "drop-in" solution.

mogensbeck

• View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 03:31:59 PM »
Its an idea. A lasercut panel with hook and loops on the side that can be folded around the flap of the charrier and keep it stable in the sides. And sew on 2 or 4 backers to keep it stable over the lenth of the front.

mogensbeck

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 03:46:01 PM »
Perhaps change the molle backers to velcro and onewrap to make it a more quick attachment system over the front.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 07:15:25 PM »
Mogens, thanks for the effort, but I don't see a whole new front panel being quick to take on and off...

As a non-permanent solution, I think I would prefer to use a laminate backer, sew velcro Loop to the face and have one row of PALS along the top. That would mount to the vest, creating the base for the second component. A separate PALS panel with Velcro tabs along the top and Velcro hook on the back, would mount to the first panel by slotting the tabs through the single row of PALS then sandwiching them between the inner and outer panel. This would insure the top is load bearing and that there is enough velcro contact to keep the whole thing sturdy.

As a permanent modification (which I'm going to revisit), I would open the vest up, tack vertical webbing for QASMs or G-Hooks to the front, and then sew loop velcro to the outside of the cummerbund flap, between the PALS rows that are already there. That is the best and quickest solution. I think I'm going to urge the customer to mod the vest. I've gone ahead and done it to my test vest:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:24:28 PM by Gear Dynamics »

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 10:50:30 PM »
Here's a quick panel to go with it. Would be better if it were laminate...

Migo

• View Profile
    • Downrange.de
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 11:00:48 AM »
I Like it!

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 12:53:13 PM »
They don't want to mod the vest...now I'm back to the engineered solution. They also want to be able to attach the panel while wearing the vest...

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 08:16:42 PM »
Are Molle sticks still available? That might be a faster on/off solution.
Scott

GoBliNuke

• View Profile
    • Ironbound Concepts
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2017, 12:34:25 AM »
They don't want to mod the vest...now I'm back to the engineered solution. They also want to be able to attach the panel while wearing the vest...

I like essals solution from the previous page very much; and maybe something similiar is the way to go. For example, using upper loop as anchor point (green mark) and wrapping around body (orange mark), joining them both (blue mark) and attaching female fastex buckle (not shown due to obviousness). And velcro strips on the existing PALs.

mogensbeck

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 11:32:56 AM »

I am starting to think a magnet system is more like what they are looking for

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 11:52:32 AM »
An acceptable way is using the shoulder loops designed to hang the USGI Tactical Assault Panel from vests, i.e. 1,5" wide loop of webbing goes around each shoulder strap, is stopped from sliding down by the widening fabric (neck cut) + 1" strap hanging down with the appropriate buckle.

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 264
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2017, 01:52:40 PM »
Swap SRBs for separating zipper?  Use in conjunction with a loop base semipermanently attached to carrier.  Make corresponding hook backed placards with corresponding separating zipper half.  The much lower profile could be integrated into a smaller footprint fully supported by the three rows of PALS. 

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2017, 04:51:28 PM »
Lots of ideas flying around now.

Mogens, what is this magic magnet system?

Bootcat, a big concern is changing the look of the vest. This is for regular members and is like their uniform. It has to look clean and can't have obvious aftermarket straps hanging all over it. If it were for ERT (Emergency Response Team), they would just use a non-issue piece of gear. While I agree the hanging solution works, I think the footprint is too large.

Ryan, I have thought about using a backer, with Velcro Loop along the front and vision separating zippers, one along the top, horizontally, might be enough.

Migo

• View Profile
    • Downrange.de
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 12:56:32 AM »
Mogens, what is this magic magnet system?
Maybe Fidlock?!

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 03:50:24 AM »
Fidlock confirmed. The problem being, these magnets need sewing on top of fabric, so permanent mod.

GearDynamics, your solution from reply #3 is probably the best, but you'd need to stiffen the vertical loop velcro straps with HDPE to make insertion easy and maybe add 2 more such straps in the center so the retention is good enough. Additional retention can be had with wrap-around velcro on the bottom edge of the panel (tucked under the PALS for instance). Bonus: you can carry two such panels side by side on this vest.