Author Topic: Scissors sharpeners  (Read 3162 times)

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 301
  • Likes Given: 52
Scissors sharpeners
« on: January 29, 2017, 03:12:18 PM »
There are a bazillion and one blade sharpening machines.  Pictured below are two.  On the left is the Work Sharp Ken Onion edition ($130USD) and on the right a Scissor Pro Diamond Hone 500 ($100USD).

The Work Sharp offers limitless abrasive options and a wide RPM range. Unfortunately, the scissors blade guide is a very small shelf molded into the guard making it difficult to stabilize the blade and maintain a consistent angle.  In order to get enough control, get a buddy to depress the trigger while you use both hands to keep the blade flat on the guide.  Dismounting the scissors while also maintaining the correct angle as the blade comes off the guide and belt is tricky.  With practice and 800-1200 grit belts, one can put a dangerously sharp edge on scissors.  While it can put a very sharp edge on blades, I don't think it does any one thing particularly well.

The ScissorPro is an extremely user friendly machine.  Magnetic guides and gentle leaf spring pressure on the blade offer a high probability of success for getting a respectable edge on scissors.  Not much to say; it works as advertised and it will continue to have a home in the shop.

The Tormek T8 ($700USD and made in Sweden) looks to be a viable option and, with their extra attachments, can sharpen just about any blade.

With what kind of scissors sharpening equipment have you had experience?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

BEA-RD

• View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Scissors sharpeners
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 03:41:42 PM »
beautiful sword collection ;) I myself do not sharpen via the cutting edge, I resurface the whole inner edge with flat stones. What it comes down to really, is Im just not skilled enough in-order to trust myself not to destroy them. As far as electric blade sharpeners go, I my experience even the expensive ones give you just a decent edge as where if you have balls a belt sander and some leather is the way to go.

I would love to see some paper cutting tests with your different methods.

Stone

• Stone Photo Gear
    • View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 05:18:10 PM »
Frankly, the Kai scissors ARE nice, but I'll just buy a new pair of my Wiss spring-loaded shears($16 at Home Depot) when mine get too old to stop cutting leather, cordura, PLASTIC sheeting(such as 1/16 plastic panels, which I use for patternmaking), velcro, zippers(metal and nylon), etc... As of 6 months of almost daily use(intermittent, but getting more use every day), they're cutting just as great as they did out of the box. The spring loaded handles DO help reduce fatigue when cutting a good amount at a time(yes I'm still cutting by hand, hope to get a laser this year sometime).

I posted a written review of them here:
http://gearmaker.org/index.php?topic=1027.0

Video review I did here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzxH-It5qLo&t=49s

Wiss W11TM

-Dan
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:03:38 PM by StonePhotoGear »

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 12:48:21 AM »
Great timing, I have a few pairs that I was going to ship back to KAI in Puyallup Wa for re sharpen. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to dropping my scissors. I normally try to use a very fine stone in my knife sharpening kit to blend out the ding but it never really fixes it.
Does anyone use Wolff "twice as sharp" scissor sharpener? https://www.amazon.com/Wolff-Twice-Sharp-Scissor-Sharpener/dp/B000ROEIG6 It looks promising.
Scott

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 301
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »
Any links to good stones or kits?

BEA-RD

• View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 08:25:18 AM »
Any links to good stones or kits?

I have this one and love it.
Wüsthof - Tri-Stone Sharpener- 3 Fine, Medium, and Coarse Stones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FH17WX0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_75jLybE0N3Q97

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 08:44:06 PM »
Ok, I'm torn between the Twice as sharp unit and the Edge Pro Apex system with scissor attachment.
Since I'm a one man show I only have 7 scissors to sharpen I could get more use out of a multi sharpening unit, and it may be slower which would give me more control.
Any knife guys that can give me some feedback on Edge Pro Apex?
http://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex-Model-Edge-Pro-System-c3/

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 09:01:55 AM »
 I ended up getting the Apex unit with all the bells and whistles, because I had to remind myself that I started my gear building business so I could "expense" bullets and cool equipment.
It is pretty straightforward on how to clamp and sharpen the scissors, using progressively finer stones to get a razor sharp edge.
The machine is fully adjustable to any angle, so you simply mark your edge with a felt pen and do a scratch test. It's quite a bit slower than a grinding type machine and I was starting to second guess myself after doing my first few pairs, but when I got to my scissors that were last sent off for sharpening I quickly found the grind marks that were put into them from an uneven pressure against the grinding wheel, so I was then relieved with my choice. The machine folds up and stows away nicely for storage. For future touch ups on my scissors I could have them all done within an hour and back to sewing, which wouldn't be fast enough for a production environment but works for me.
Enjoy, Scott

SR Tactical

• View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
I use a Tormek to sharpen literally everything that has an edge.

frozen-stitches

• View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 11:42:28 AM »
Ok, I'm torn between the Twice as sharp unit and the Edge Pro Apex system with scissor attachment.
Since I'm a one man show I only have 7 scissors to sharpen I could get more use out of a multi sharpening unit, and it may be slower which would give me more control.
Any knife guys that can give me some feedback on Edge Pro Apex?
http://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex-Model-Edge-Pro-System-c3/
We have the wolf twice as sharp at work. It's great as long as you get the perfect angles set up. It's a little more complicated to sharpen lefty's as It's easier to dissemble them before mounting. When we were looking for a good unit to sharpen our scissors we decided we would have done great tool do do one job rather than a jack of trades tool. In my experience I would rather have the best tool that makes it easier than one that does an ok job but has multiple uses. I have never tried the sharpener on knifes but I assume it would work ok on them. It has an adjustable blade holder for all sizes of scissors. We have never tried but it does have a sheet so you could sharpen hair cutting scissors and an estimated price sheet if you wanted to recoup some of your cost hustling to the barbershop and sharpen their scissors too.

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 10:00:21 AM »
I use a Tormek to sharpen literally everything that has an edge.
I looked at that, but honestly I don't have a place to store that animal, my sew-shop is our two car garage.

We have the wolf twice as sharp at work. It's great as long as you get the perfect angles set up. It's a little more complicated to sharpen lefty's as It's easier to dissemble them before mounting. When we were looking for a good unit to sharpen our scissors we decided we would have done great tool do do one job rather than a jack of trades tool. In my experience I would rather have the best tool that makes it easier than one that does an ok job but has multiple uses. I have never tried the sharpener on knifes but I assume it would work ok on them. It has an adjustable blade holder for all sizes of scissors. We have never tried but it does have a sheet so you could sharpen hair cutting scissors and an estimated price sheet if you wanted to recoup some of your cost hustling to the barbershop and sharpen their scissors too.
When the day comes and I have employees dulling and dropping their scissors, I will spend the money and get a "twice as sharp" as I can see that it is a much faster system.
Scott

Pyrofx

• View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 08:20:47 PM »
I just ordered the edge pro also. I'll report what I think. Deciding factor was when I could wait for the proper shears to show up and used my good shears to try :o and cut some balistic kevlar. Bad mistake.  My wife is also a barber and between her and the other girls,there are a bunch of 200 dollar shears needing service.
Greg