Author Topic: Recent Upholstery Work  (Read 1516 times)

nutmeg

• View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 27
Recent Upholstery Work
« on: February 06, 2017, 02:32:31 PM »

Here is the end result of a chair I recently upholstered for a co-worker. This was a neat project, and I learned a lot about how furniture is made. I'm pretty happy with it, considering it was my second foray into upholstery (a car interior was the first)

Anyone else try their hand at upholstery? If there are people here who are interested in upholstery, I'd be interested to see what you've done, and maybe pick your brain a little on my own designs for some furniture.

This project has me thinking about making a few chair of my own for my house. Maybe something mid-century modern, with some exposed wood work (Woodworking being another recent hobby I started).

17SG

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Recent Upholstery Work
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 02:45:12 PM »
Looks good! I would be completely lost. I suspect any attempt at upholstery on my part would resemble a deflated parachute, lol.
17sierragear.com

BergspitzeCustoms

• View Profile
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 03:50:48 PM »
Very nice!  I've done a few oddball upholstery projects for people, not sure any of them came out looking that clean.  Good work!

nutmeg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 03:57:06 PM »
Looks good! I would be completely lost. I suspect any attempt at upholstery on my part would resemble a deflated parachute, lol.

Thanks! The nice thing about the upholstery project is that you start with a perfect pattern of what you need to make. I took about 100 pictures of the thing as I took it apart, then just referred back as necessary. The only hard part was the staples. I'd estimate I took about 2000 staples out of this thing, and put about 1200 back on (the suede fabric had a stiff backer, that didn't need as many staples as the leather that came off).

Very nice!  I've done a few oddball upholstery projects for people, not sure any of them came out looking that clean.  Good work!

Thanks!

neo71665

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 11:18:23 PM »
Back in high school I tinkered in an upholstery work. I started out fixing the woodwork and by the time I had left I had a few couches and chairs under my belt. Being cheap I've done all my own truck and car interiors. You jump into custom stuff it can get really interesting. Welding frames to cover to make custom dashes, fiberglass custom interior panels, inlaying shapes in foam for 3d effects. Upholstery work is really where I learned most of my sewing.

Skunk Gear

• View Profile
    • Skunk Gear
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 05:29:10 AM »
Wow looks very good! Like new  :)
Did you have to use different gauge needles ?

nutmeg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 11:22:15 AM »
Wow looks very good! Like new  :)
Did you have to use different gauge needles ?

Thanks! I used 20 gauge needles for everything, bonded T70 thread. Thankfully all of the stitching on this piece was hidden, so the smaller diameter thread wasn't an issue.

If I were to take this up seriously, I'd probably wanna pick up a machine that could handle larger thread, so the visible stitching looked appropriate in size for things like french seams.

Stoner63A

• View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 12:28:23 AM »
How did you get started?  Did you go by a book?    I'm considering wondering into sail and powerboat upholstery once I get moved to FL.

If its for sailing then I charge 2x the tactical sew rate. ;)

TangoDelta

• View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 01:44:02 AM »
I did a few summer and winter tents and covers for small boats, fun to do if you have the space, and relatively easy, I just copied the old cover.

Thierry.
No gods or kings, only man.

Pyrofx

• View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 09:27:31 AM »
How did you get started?  Did you go by a book?    I'm considering wondering into sail and powerboat upholstery once I get moved to FL.

Did I read one your posts on an upholstery site a while ago where a Canadian got into a pissing match over guns and military?
Greg

nutmeg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 11:58:48 AM »

Upholstery was actually how I got started sewing in general. My first sewing project was re-upholstering the interior of a 1967 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow for my father. In terms of what I learned about upholstery specifically, most of it came from studying the pieces I was taking apart. Taking lots of pictures and noting the order of operations was critical, but there really isn't much difference between what you have to do when making pouches/bags.

One resource I found helpful for very specialized stuff is http://www.thehogring.com/auto-upholstery-forum/. It's automotive upholstery, which would be pretty applicable to the powerboat upholstery.

This was the result fo the first interior project:

Pyrofx

• View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 12:56:11 PM »
Nice job. I have been doing Aston Martin restorations since I was about 9. I got the  cleaning part back then. Few people will appreciate the feel and smell of Conley leather and Wilting wool carpets. Where did you source your leather?
Believe it or not guys, and English interior job runs about 25 grand. Paint is another 60.
Stupid money, but still only about 20% margin when done.
Kinda like making a plate carrier, in terms of ROI. Lol
G

frozen-stitches

• View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 08:23:29 PM »

Upholstery was actually how I got started sewing in general. My first sewing project was re-upholstering the interior of a 1967 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow for my father. In terms of what I learned about upholstery specifically, most of it came from studying the pieces I was taking apart. Taking lots of pictures and noting the order of operations was critical, but there really isn't much difference between what you have to do when making pouches/bags.

One resource I found helpful for very specialized stuff is http://www.thehogring.com/auto-upholstery-forum/. It's automotive upholstery, which would be pretty applicable to the powerboat upholstery.

This was the result fo the first interior project:

I knew I had seen that interior before. I've been doing upholstery for over 10 years. I just dabble in the tactical gear. The hog ring is a great source for learning some new tips and tricks. But the best is just doing it. If you can do a puzzle you can do upholstery. The hardest part for me was learning how to adjust the patterns and making my own. Here is one I did a little while ago.
Also each type is a little different in the construction and how it's done. I just do cars boats and airplanes. Household furniture is completely different. As I have also done some contract work with a cabinet maker for a few restaurant booths.