Author Topic: What are the US Military pantone colors for Tan 499, Coyote Brown 498 and RG ?  (Read 10104 times)

Alex

• View Profile
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 10
What are the US Military pantone colors for Tan 499, Coyote Brown 498 and Ranger Green?

All the info I could is below and it's confusing:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/419496_Looking_for_Fed_Std_595_color_code_for_Coyote_Brown.html
Dude, I found something for you. Coyote brown is the same as Ralph Lauren color 8F11B.
After about 2 more hours of web searching I've answered my own question.

Coyote Brown is Ralph Lauren (RL) Santa Fe (SF) color 11B (RL SF11B). Obsolete but still can be custom mixed. Natick Labs says it will never be an FS595 color, that there will be a custom color chip for it.

Apparently Dark Earth FS595 30118 is a close match (but not exactly that color).

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Lab_values.asp?cRange=Federal%20Standard%20595&cRef=20150&cDescription=Coyote%20476%20/%20498

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 78
I don't have the answer, but I wonder if Texcel or Brookwoods would be able to tell you, those two are my main suppliers.
Scott

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
I don't think they are Pantone colors. You might be able to find something close, but I doubt that you'll be able to find the color. Same applies to NCS and other color systems.

Does the Fed STD contain any information about the colors themselves?

Alex

• View Profile
These would for a polymer part and not textile. In the past I've seen color chips produced by National Molding, however I lost my set of color chips....

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 27
Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Colour_alternatives.asp

Range: Fed Standard 595 then find your color, for instance Coyote 498 is 20150, the other ones are there too.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 269
Tan499 - 20180

Couldn't find Ranger Green

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
#34095, which is the equivalent of RAL 6003 (Bundeswehr color) which I believe is the original inspiration for that color (if anyone knows the real story I'd gladly hear it). RAL 7013 (Austrian Army standard color) is another close shade. Use your own judgement - I've seen significant differences between Ranger Green colors depending on the supplier.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
I've seen a number (like 498 for CB) for Ranger Green at one point, but I cannot remember it. Does anyone know?

Bootcat that site is great! Thanks for posting it.

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
AFAIK Ranger Green has no FedStd code because it was not designed "in the system". Someone at Eagle Ind. or FirstSpear might know the story. My hypothesis is that some Ranger unit went to Germany, discovered that olive green works real well in all environments, and asked a supplier to provide a similar color in the USA. Ranger Green has been in the 75th inventory since the RLCS system ca. 2004-2005, I don't know of any previous equipment in that color.

BEA-RD

• View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 0
AFAIK Ranger Green has no FedStd code because it was not designed "in the system". Someone at Eagle Ind. or FirstSpear might know the story. My hypothesis is that some Ranger unit went to Germany, discovered that olive green works real well in all environments, and asked a supplier to provide a similar color in the USA. Ranger Green has been in the 75th inventory since the RLCS system ca. 2004-2005, I don't know of any previous equipment in that color.

Your absolutely correct, RG is an eagle ind. product but I am surprised it was never added to the fed catalog.

Alex

• View Profile
Thanks for all this info guys, I'm working on a polymer project. These colors would not be for fabric. The parts guys are asking me for the pantone info for the US military colors. We haven't even started scratching the surface of all the near and far IR requirements for US military....