Author Topic: Your opinion on SOE Gear/John Willis?  (Read 689 times)

WBTactical

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill Tactical
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 0
Your opinion on SOE Gear/John Willis?
« on: March 09, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »
This has been on my mind for quite some time but didn't feel like talking about it until now because there had been numerous discussions all over the internet already and it feels like beating a dead horse, but what are your thoughts on SOE Gear business etiquette and the owner John Willis?

For those who don't know him, John runs one of the if not THE most infamous gear company in the stats if not the world. From his downright shady business practice of taking orders without provide a soid ETA and then rain hell if one even dared to scream Y TAKE SO LONG? His association to James Yaeger (another equally infamous and obnoxious individual in the US firearms community) to his criminal past.

I had seen most of his YT video and honestly he seems like a okay guy who take care of his people while oozing pure mad wisdom and charisma. Maybe it's because he always show people how he runs his business, treat his employees, dealing with unreasonable customers and even how he raise his kids, etc, and lot of those advice resonate with me.

On the other hand the dude profit purely from hate and drama. He would repeatedly rain hell on customers who he deemed being unreasonable to him, calling them out on social media and even make a video about it just so the SOE fanboys can defend the dude and take a jab at the customer simply because they think that he make awesome gear.

I think this is part of reason why his war gear inventory are always OOS/no ETA while his belt/EDC/micro rig line up always gets out on time because he knows that he gets hate from people who went to him for combat gear and when people talk crap about them it's free advertisement or word spreading for his company (to John's logic anyway). What's sad is that despite losing those customers he will still get away with treating them badly while having enough belt/EDC/Mirco rig orders to cover the bills by the end of the day.

As for his gear...simply overpriced and lacks innovation, $60 for a California compliant grocery bag? Bitch please I can make one for $5 top. Bomb proof? Make in motherfing USA? Warranty you will never need? Purely gimmicks

TL:DR: Despite his checkered past, he seems like a okay guy who take care of his people and oozes pure mad wisdom and charisma. But on the other hand, he repeatedly left many of his customers hanging and exploit on their hate and disappointment and despite all that he was able to remain in business.

Thoughts? Opinion?

17SG

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Your opinion on SOE Gear/John Willis?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 08:15:05 PM »
I personally don't agree with his business model, I treat every customer like they are my number 1 vip. Even if they are asking some ridiculous question that they could have easily answered themselves. Another thing that I would personally never do is take a customer's money with no eta when I would deliver. If I have someone's money for a week and they don't have their goodies I feel like I am stealing from them. As far as all the gimmicky lines, well gimmicks sometimes work pretty well. And I agree about some of the prices being pretty steep, but that is just a marketing tactic.

Not the way I run my business but it seems to be working for him.
17sierragear.com

gearmaker.org

• gearmaker.org
  • Administrator
  • gearmaker.org
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 39
Re: Your opinion on SOE Gear/John Willis?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 03:28:24 AM »
This has been on my mind for quite some time but didn't feel like talking about it until now because there had been numerous discussions all over the internet already and it feels like beating a dead horse...

<snip>

You're right.  There have been numerous discussions on the matter.  It really does feel like beating a dead horse.