Show it off > Everything else

Leatherwork

<< < (3/4) > >>

Gear Dynamics:
Very cool. Nice looking work!

essal:
How long does it take you to hand stitch a card holder? The stuff looks great! How does the laser cut holes feel compared to a "naturally" punched hole? Any weird smell or stiffness to it?

The thing I kinda miss with Cordura fabrics is the patina. Leather and waxed cotton get such as distinct look to it when it's used, it looks awesome.

nutmeg:

--- Quote from: Gear Dynamics on June 16, 2017, 11:41:35 AM ---Very cool. Nice looking work!

--- End quote ---

Thanks!

--- Quote from: essal on June 16, 2017, 01:36:30 PM ---How long does it take you to hand stitch a card holder? The stuff looks great! How does the laser cut holes feel compared to a "naturally" punched hole? Any weird smell or stiffness to it?

The thing I kinda miss with Cordura fabrics is the patina. Leather and waxed cotton get such as distinct look to it when it's used, it looks awesome.

--- End quote ---

Thanks! It takes me about 70 minutes to do the three lines of stitching on the flat card wallets. There is less resistance than a punched hole, simple due to the fact that it's actually removing the material in that area, instead of simple splitting it like a pricking iron does. No smell after an hour or so, and no real noticeable change in stiffness after cutting. The only reall problem the laser presents is in finishing the edges: it takes quite a bit more sanding to remove the charring from the edges than I would have to do if I cut it by blade. But it's a small price to pay for the precision if gives me.

Yeah, I love the way the leather is aging. I haven't had a chance to work with waxed cotton/canvas yet, but I really want to try my hand at making a few packs from waxed canvas/leather.

Stone:
Are you hand sanding the edges, or are you using a bench grinder with sanding drums?

A friend of mine does leather work as a side hobby, and he has been eyeing the addition of a laser to increase his expediency with patterning (he is selling occasionally, and personally monogrammed pieces seem to command the highest prices/profit). Other than various hides of material and spools of various threads, his tooling has cost less than $300 to set up with a bench vise and soft jaws (self made). I'm constantly enamored by his handiwork, not to mention the simplicity of his working process compared to mine with 4 sewing machines, tables, etc :o

He has found that buffing the edges with a polished wooden wheel on a bench grinder greatly speeds up his finishing time.

nutmeg:

--- Quote from: StonePhotoGear on June 18, 2017, 06:08:42 PM ---Are you hand sanding the edges, or are you using a bench grinder with sanding drums?

A friend of mine does leather work as a side hobby, and he has been eyeing the addition of a laser to increase his expediency with patterning (he is selling occasionally, and personally monogrammed pieces seem to command the highest prices/profit). Other than various hides of material and spools of various threads, his tooling has cost less than $300 to set up with a bench vise and soft jaws (self made). I'm constantly enamored by his handiwork, not to mention the simplicity of his working process compared to mine with 4 sewing machines, tables, etc :o

He has found that buffing the edges with a polished wooden wheel on a bench grinder greatly speeds up his finishing time.

--- End quote ---

I'm sanding the edges by hand, but using an attachment for my hanging rotary tool to do the actual burnishing (I made a polished wooden burnishing disk).

It is nice that it doesn't require a huge amount of equipment. I think I have 3-4 times as much invested in hides as I do the actual tools for leatherwork.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version