Author Topic: Leatherwork  (Read 1331 times)

nutmeg

• View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 27
Re: Leatherwork
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 01:05:00 PM »
Threw together this desktop organizer over the weekend. It was a nice project to learn the CNC router on, and I think the end result came out pretty well:

nutmeg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 03:54:57 PM »
Knocked out this prototype sunglasses case tonight. Needs some slight size adjustments, and I think the final variant will require some type of liner (felt, suede maybe?), but overall I'm really happy with how it came out.

Enjoying a cold one after a long day at the workbench...

If anyone has a suggestion for a good liner material, I'd love to hear it.

flimmuur

• View Profile
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 01:43:26 PM »
I bought some offcuts of leather from a local craftsman and was going to try some lasercutting with them.  Do I need to sand and burnish the edges, or can I get away with just the cut edge?
Flimmuur Tactical (Cambridge, UK)
https://www.facebook.com/ftactical/

nutmeg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 06:49:53 AM »
I bought some offcuts of leather from a local craftsman and was going to try some lasercutting with them.  Do I need to sand and burnish the edges, or can I get away with just the cut edge?

Sorry for the slow response, I haven't been checking back in here as often as I used to.

You can get away without sanding/burnishing edges, but I would wipe them down to remove the charring. Also, if you aren't going to bevel/sand/burnish the edges, I would put down some type of masking film on both sides of the leather, to prevent darkening of the finished surfaces near the cuts. I don't do this myself, only because the area that is darken is typically removed when I bevel and sand the edges.