Author Topic: Rolltop backpack and fanny packs  (Read 6320 times)

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
Rolltop backpack and fanny packs
« on: April 29, 2017, 04:19:57 AM »
Since I design everything for my civie brand around tallcans, here are a couple of things I've made.

First out is the basic rolltop pack, the shape is going to be my base pattern for any custom work. There are tons of options in the pattern, such as side pockets, extended neck for a donut type closure, more tech backpanel and straps etc. This one is made with no binding tape, since I ran out, but I really like that the liner is separate from the rest of the pack, making it almost waterproof. They are fairly fast to manufacture, I made 2 in 9 hours 30 minutes (4h 25m each), which is a must to keep the pricepoint I want.

The "promo gear" is a simple waistbag, satchel, manpurse or whatever you want to call it. I use a norwegian word that is a weird way of saying bag.. Design to hold 2 tallcans. This is to get the brand out there, low price to get people into the brand. I offer them in black, CB and RG exterior and black, grey, blue, turquoise and orange interior. The MC one is a limited edition cause I don't have any more MC left... I want to add more options for the exterior color, as well as different types of fabric. If you want to figure out how to make the simplest zippered pouch, go on Youtube and watch those ladies teach you how to sew a zipper ;D It's a simple pattern and it's pretty much impossible to fuck it up. These are probably 30-40 minutes from start to finish.

stimpy

• View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Rolltop backpack and fanny packs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 05:29:49 AM »
I always wondered how that kind of pouch was built. I always buikd mine with a seperate spine. And this has the same bottom for the spine as the front and backpanel. Is this technique easier then building a seperate spine ? And would it work for something like hard use tactical gear ?

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 08:38:05 AM »
Great question! It's a single piece of fabric. The downside is that I think the traditional fold creates more fabric, which would give you some wear-points that are doubled (and bound). It's kinda like piping, but not actual piping if you get what I'm trying to explain. This technique allows for direct wear onto the fabric.

I find this technique really easy, but I do cut out my folds so it's not a square (double E is more correct). A square has the chance for fuck ups when you sew the corners down that results in a wonky pouch. It could probably work for tactical gear, personally my GP pouches don't really get all that kind of abrasion.

stimpy

• View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 09:37:01 AM »
I am still a newbie, i have absolutely no idea what you are talking about  :-[ ;D guess i should look more youtube videos.

rouge

• View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 10:27:26 AM »
Dude those roll tops are amazing ......im in awe
Any chance of a pic of the back panel and straps ??

mogensbeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 03:31:57 PM »
Never thought to make a utility pouch like this. will have to try it, should be a real time saver.

flimmuur

• View Profile
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 07:53:50 AM »
I made some a few years back out of litelok (with some 500d reinforcement).  The straps were a simple 1.5" webbing affair and there was a bit of 3mm plastazote for the back panel, making the whole bag stashable.  I'm on holiday and unable to copy over the link to fb page for photos unfortunately.
Flimmuur Tactical (Cambridge, UK)
https://www.facebook.com/ftactical/

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 269
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 10:04:58 PM »
Awesome gear Lasse! Those are great products.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 04:03:16 AM »
I am still a newbie, i have absolutely no idea what you are talking about  :-[ ;D guess i should look more youtube videos.
I'll snap some photos next time I do a run. There is a chance that I am way to tech in the way I explain things, or just bad at explaining.

Here is the back. It's just straight straps and horizontal lines.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 09:36:36 AM »
Never thought to make a utility pouch like this. will have to try it, should be a real time saver.

A while back I was looking at ways to speed up pouch making, and had been experimenting with different YouTube "box pouch" tutorials. There is a method with a single piece of material and another with a two smaller pieces, which results in the pouch having a bottom seam. I like the single piece design, as there is less steps. The piece needs to be quite large, to make a typical Utility Pouch, so it's a little unwieldy. The one with the bottom seam has some advantages. With the bottom seam, you could easily sew a liner in the pouch, as well as lining up the zipper and the sides is much quicker. Need to off set your grommet though.

Here's one of my prototypes with the single piece of fabric pattern. It took some monkeying around to get the pouch to the same size as the current one.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 09:39:04 AM »
...Not to take away from Lasse's excellent work. I don't want to detract from that.

BergspitzeCustoms

• View Profile
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 12:56:53 PM »
Nice!  Have been making small-scale rolltop bags for some friends who wanted some packs for their kids to carry their own stuff in, I'm going to try a few of these features in the next rounds.

There is a method with a single piece of material and another with a two smaller pieces, which results in the pouch having a bottom seam. I like the single piece design, as there is less steps. [/img]

You have a link to those methods?  Youtube videos and such?

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 04:45:32 PM »
Just search "box pouch tutorial" and you'll get a ton of examples.

The steps are:

1. Cut rectangle piece of material
2. Cut and sew zipper halves to the short sides of the rectangle - Sew PALS webbing, Velcro, install grommets etc
3. Join zipper together, making a "tube" of material and flip to wrong side
4. Flatten the tube with the zipper running down the centre
5. Sew the sides shut (I use 3/8" SA)
6. Cut out the corners (MUST be a square, measured from the stitch line). This will determine how tall your pouch becomes. For example, a 2" x 2" corner cut will make a 4.75" tall pouch, if you use a 3/8" SA
7. Flatten the corners into a straight line and sew shut (3/8" SA)

Done. You could probably even pre-cut the sides. Right at the beginning and skip step six. It would make it easier to position and sew on PALS webbing.

BergspitzeCustoms

• View Profile
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 07:35:49 PM »
Thanks.  Was looking at the masses of videos and wondered which you were referring to.  Going to be helping with a youth sewing camp (historically, 99% girls, but this year they wanted to attract more boys so they asked me to help) so I need to find some good resources to send them home with, and a single piece project is a good start.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 02:24:00 AM »
Yeah, I precut my sides. Other than that GD explains it way better than I could. Only thing not mentioned is that you need to bind the zipper edge before you create the box shape.
As for videos, there are so many. Like this is an example of the millions of videos covering the same technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-SsfnXbVrc&t

I make mine with 2 pieces of fabric, one for the outer and one for the liner. I sew them together with the zipper.