Author Topic: Another rolltop  (Read 1449 times)

rouge

• View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
Another rolltop
« on: April 29, 2017, 12:50:08 PM »
These are pretty trendy these days I see sooo many of them.....but I think that the popularity is earned fairly it's a good design
Made this one of an upcycled Falklands poncho
Really liked the ease of making the shoulder straps with binding ......but I'm worried that binding is a more costly option......might try folding cordura around foam next time

Stepan1983

• View Profile
    • SPLAV
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: Another rolltop
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 12:54:51 AM »
Side release buckle is on top too much, this way webbing exits the buckle at angle, not along the buckle (vertically), so it will slip more. It should be moved below.

Also you should stitch ladderlock buckles on the shoulder straps in traditional way (webbing loops covers second bar, not the bar on the edge). The idea of classic ladderlock is that this way the buckle always rotates in the direction opposite to the one used to weaken the adjustment. The way you stitched it rotated freely. They don't make pack shoulder straps this way. There are cases when easy rotation of ladderlock is needed, like webbing on the sides of the belt on big packs. This laddrlocks have a single bar for attachment http://na.itwnexus.com/content/gt-ruck

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 270
  • Likes Given: 267
Re: Another rolltop
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 07:00:21 AM »
Did you add any grommets for drainage?

For the shoulder straps, I'd try some Cordura only designs. They will probably be just as fast to make and you won't need to worry about colour matching. For me, I need to set up for binding with an attachment each time I want to do it. It's a pain. I've also never been happy with the standard 5038 plain weave binding when it comes to tight curves. I'm trying to eliminate binding from the exterior of my products for those reasons.