Author Topic: Saiga-12 mag pouch  (Read 4543 times)

Jorvik

• View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 7
Saiga-12 mag pouch
« on: January 18, 2015, 02:06:55 PM »
Had someone come to me to make custom mag pouches for a Saiga-12. These things are huge, 10 shell 12-gauge shotgun magazines, and as far as I can tell there aren't a lot of pouches manufactured to fit them.

I made a couple of prototypes for T&E. One in black, one Multicam. The black one is 1000D Cordura inside and out. The Multicam one is 500D exterior, 1000D Tan 499 interior. The mags have pronounced metal feed lips that I was concerned would ultimately cut through a lighter weight fabric.

The flaps are tuckable, with shock cord retention to hold the mag in place in a tucked configuration. Or they can be run with flaps for ultimate retention, with diminished accessibility as the trade off.

The rear of the pouch is configured with a panel I like to put on items of this size. They allow either MALICE clip (etc) attachment to PALS webbing, or easily mount directly to a belt through the tunnel behind the panel.

I'm working with the client to test this configuration. It's possible I may make the pouch a little longer, so more of the mag is contained in the pouch, if it turns out to be too top heavy. But the ability to get a good grip on the mag for quick reloads was a requirement. Also, if necessary, I'd run a larger panel on the rear for long MALICE clips, if stability proves to be an issue.

So far, the client is very happy with the product. This could open up a possible market for me, as I don't think similar products exist.

-S.

Stepan1983

• View Profile
    • SPLAV
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: Saiga-12 mag pouch
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 01:12:13 PM »
Ive designed few pouches for Saiga-12, so I can tell you this -

1. Dont know what model of  magazine you use, but original Saiga and Vepr-12 mags dont have such sharp and big lips. This mags are quite abrasion-friendly. You should worry more about AK and especially SVD magazines.

2. You should use X-stitching on a flap hook velcro for reliability and good looks just like you did it for loop velcro on the front.

3. Velcro can be shorter, you dont need such big surface for proper closure.

4. Webbing puller on a flap end should be longer.

5. Yes, the pouch can be taller. Also by doing this you will rise velcro to the top of the magazine, so flap will be shorter = easier and faster to open. This is my velcro pouch for Saiga/Vepr-12 (8 shells). You can measure how high is the pocket by looking at the external PALS loops:

6. Yes, you should use 5 pieces of webbing for long MALICE clips. Or even more than 5. More options for vertical positioning when you attach it to the belts, better attachment (using maximum of surface) when wearing vests/chestrigs. And I dont recommend to use this Maxpedition style big belt loop panel with PALS webbing stitched to it. Stick to the standart webbing stitched directly to the pouch back wall. This belt panel is too big - no proper pouch fixation. You can do the same (belt attachment) with MALICE better, with less complicated design, with ability to choose where to attach the pouch.

7. It is strange that you made such narrow flap. It should be wider so it covers the mag better. First of all, you can make it wider,  you have an empty space between flap sides and side binding. Next, you can make a binded flap - by continuing the pouch back to the top (like I did on the photos above)

Jorvik

• View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Saiga-12 mag pouch
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 03:05:50 PM »
Awesome feedback. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond!