Author Topic: Top loading pack  (Read 5459 times)

cdhtac

• View Profile
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 7
Top loading pack
« on: January 13, 2016, 03:13:36 AM »
Hereīs my latest pack, itīs actually the second top loading pack ever that i have made. A couple of months ago i decided to make myself a new EDC pack, but having made dozens and dozens of panel loaders/other pack designs with zippered main compartment, i felt like i needed a new challenge, and learning how to make top loading packs seemed like a challenge enough. I started with a prototype and after using it for a few weeks, I was surprised how much i liked the design (easy access to the main compartment, etc) so i decided to build myself a new one, based on that prototype.

The pack is a daypack size, and i will be mostly using it as my EDC pack at work. I had plans to replace the mesh in the backpanel with Spandura, but it didnīt really work out like i was hoping for, at least with the backpanel design which has pretty much become a standard for my packs. So i took the easy way out and used the spacer mesh. When i have the time, i will look into how to make the backpanel design work with Spandura. (i will have to redesign the shape and the size of the closed cell foam padding that goes inside the backpanel, which will take some trial and error.. Didnīt have time for that right now)

Raincover/identification panel pocket in the bottom of the pack

Pocket in the lid

Inner side of the lid has a mesh pocket

Inside the pack; Long sleeve pockets on both sides and two zippered pockets in the front part. The pack also has attachment points for TAD molle panel, which you can see in the picture

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 269
Re: Top loading pack
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 08:49:12 AM »
That is a killer pack. It looks amazing.

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 12:16:18 PM »
Great work as always, I really enjoy seeing your packs evolve over the years.
I wish you had access to a bartacker, that would take your gear to the next level.
Keep up the great work,
Scott

Rainman01

• Tactical Gear Creations
    • View Profile
    • Tactical Gear Creations
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 03:46:39 AM »
Fantastic work mate, makes me want to make one right now (but I know I'd screw it up ). Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
    • Misadventure Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 02:17:46 AM »
I don't think you have enough PALS on that pack.....LOL.

Seriously, great job yet again. On the sides of the lid, you have some loops of what appears to be 3/4" webbing.... What are those for?

bravodelta

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 05:24:23 PM »
I was issue a top loading pack and I am normally not a fan, but I like how you included bottom access/pocket and front to side attachment points...Looks great!

cdhtac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 01:48:37 AM »
Thanks guys!

I don't think you have enough PALS on that pack.....LOL.

Dude, you can never have enough Pals :) Check out the pictures at the end of this post and you will see whatīs with all the pals :)

On the sides of the lid, you have some loops of what appears to be 3/4" webbing.... What are those for?

No particular reason.. i just felt like it needed some loops over there, just in case i happen to have a need to run shock cord through them or something like that

I was issue a top loading pack and I am normally not a fan,

I wasnīt a big fan of top loading packs of this size either, but now that i have used one an EDC pack for a couple of months, i am beginning to like the design

Anyway, hereīs a little update; I just finished a few accessory pouches that i was meaning to build for this pack. A couple of tall GP pouches, one large GP pouch and one flat admin pouch

jmacormac

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 01:43:18 PM »
Always perfection!

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 12:45:54 AM »
Good work as usual!

You could try moving the flap fastex buckles so the webbing is exiting from the edge of the flap rather than top sewn. Cheaper and better looking if you add some chamfering for tension relief (look at WTF's chest rigs to understand the idea).

On top loaders the killer feature is a front zippered access to the middle of the pack.

jowomy

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 03:15:21 AM »
Very cool : ))   8) 8)

cdhtac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 04:52:07 AM »
Thanks guys!

You could try moving the flap fastex buckles so the webbing is exiting from the edge of the flap rather than top sewn. Cheaper and better looking if you add some chamfering for tension relief (look at WTF's chest rigs to understand the idea).

yeah, i thought about that, but i think that the seam would have become a bit too thick with two layers of webbing in it, so i went with this one instead. This is my second top loading pack ever, so i wasnīt really in the mood for going crazy with experimenting stuff i wasnīt sure would work or not ;D

On top loaders the killer feature is a front zippered access to the middle of the pack.

With bigger rucks i agree, but with a small pack like this, i donīt see it necessary.  I thought about that as well, but wasnīt willing to exchange the Pals real estate that the front of the pack has now, for a zippered flap. Those two pouches (the flat admin pouch and the large GP pouch) were a part of the design even before i started sewing the pack