Author Topic: Bonding Hypalon and equivalent to Velcro hook  (Read 1496 times)

Monkeys

• MMT
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Bonding Hypalon and equivalent to Velcro hook
« on: August 28, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »
Hello fellow makers of gear,

I am looking for your insight on ways to create a strong bond between Velcro and Hypalon or HANK or whatever equivalent you can think of. I have used rubber adhesive backed Velcro in the past for this purpose, but with my products being used in deployed environments I am concerned that the heat may wear out the bond strength quickly. I have seen the heat exposure cause some peeling and need to change up my process to provide quality to the customer. I have worked with adhesives in the past that slightly melt the surfaces of what you intend to bond to create a strong one but I don't want to use something that may melt the Velcro hook so much that it causes damage in the process. Do any of you have any experience in this area? Would a standard PVC or hyaplon boat adhesive do the trick. I've seen larger gear companies pull it off on some of their products so I know it can be done. I just need pointed in the right direction for adhesive that can make it happen. Any help is appreciated.

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 264
  • Likes Given: 51
Re: Bonding Hypalon and equivalent to Velcro hook
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 04:43:38 PM »
Can you provide a pic of what you're trying to accomplish?

Stepan1983

• View Profile
    • SPLAV
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 12:03:30 AM »
I recommend to forget about PVC, its dangerous to lasercut it

Stone

• Stone Photo Gear
    • View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 04:20:43 PM »

Monkeys

• MMT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 04:33:43 PM »
Sure, I could sew it all day. But that is not what I asked. I was aiming to achieve a specific end product. It's all about attention to detail. And I never mentioned anything about laser cutting so that was slightly random Stephan lol. That all being said, I did some research of my own and found a couple of potential answers that I decided to try out. These 2 solutions seem to work really well. One being DAP Weldwood contact adhesive either sprayed in a gun or applied by acid brush . If you let it cure as prescribed it holds up to heat adjustment fairly well and doesn't harm the hook or loop. The other option that I am now using  and decided to continue with is Velcro brand High Temp Acrylic Adhesive 72 Backed Hook. This actually bonds and reacts to heat very well once properly cured and I would recommend it for anyone else looking to accomplish something like this. It's pressure sensitive so you'll want a roller tool to apply even pressure all over the work you're adhering. Thanks for taking the time to reply regardless Gents.

WBTactical

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill Tactical
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 06:24:47 PM »
Sure, I could sew it all day. But that is not what I asked. I was aiming to achieve a specific end product. It's all about attention to detail. And I never mentioned anything about laser cutting so that was slightly random Stephan lol. That all being said, I did some research of my own and found a couple of potential answers that I decided to try out. These 2 solutions seem to work really well. One being DAP Weldwood contact adhesive either sprayed in a gun or applied by acid brush . If you let it cure as prescribed it holds up to heat adjustment fairly well and doesn't harm the hook or loop. The other option that I am now using  and decided to continue with is Velcro brand High Temp Acrylic Adhesive 72 Backed Hook. This actually bonds and reacts to heat very well once properly cured and I would recommend it for anyone else looking to accomplish something like this. It's pressure sensitive so you'll want a roller tool to apply even pressure all over the work you're adhering. Thanks for taking the time to reply regardless Gents.

Oh okay well congrat on figuring it out on your own and thanks for sharing.

PS: This guy make tons of Crye clones.

Monkeys

• MMT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:46:19 PM »

Thanks. And yes, this is true. This particular product was with regard to the LV-MBAV cummerbund system. And no I do not claim their designs as my own and never will.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 02:44:27 AM »
We have nothing in the rules regarding what you make. Personally I think it's a complete waste of talent, and it goes against my moral compass to make and sell someones design without their permission.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

BergspitzeCustoms

• View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 08:35:13 AM »
We have nothing in the rules regarding what you make. Personally I think it's a complete waste of talent, and it goes against my moral compass to make and sell someones design without their permission.

Not trying to totally derail the original topic but I think Bill might be referring to this:  http://gearmaker.org/index.php?topic=1122.0

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 02:09:36 PM »
You're right. I'm just horrible at finding stuff.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

WBTactical

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill Tactical
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 05:03:54 PM »
He is asking for a solution without bothering to provide examples of what he is trying to accomplish and then acts like there's no other way. Sure I can sew all day but it's all attention to details he say, well good for you buddy.

I personally don't care what the dude sewn to make money but I sure as hell dont want to be known for making copies.

gearmaker.org

• gearmaker.org
  • Administrator
  • gearmaker.org
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 08:45:41 AM »

Thanks. And yes, this is true. This particular product was with regard to the LV-MBAV cummerbund system. And no I do not claim their designs as my own and never will.

Do you copy their designs which you do not claim as your own?

Monkeys

• MMT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 01:54:25 PM »
I didn't come here to be villified for the products I make. Whether I make repros or not has nothing to do with the original topic of the post. I asked if anyone had experience bonding hypalon to velcro. To which someone asked why I couldn't sew it. And to that, the answer was, that wasn't what I was trying to accomplish and not relevant to the topic of the post. What you prefer to be known for has nothing to do with me. We are all friends here, and knowledgeable people. I have respect for everyone on this forum and enjoy learning. I simply thought someone here might have had experience doing the task before. And I also thought someone may find it useful in the future. I apologize for not providing any photos. I could have provided a link to a google pic I suppose. But I'm not using any photo sharing sites at the moment so posting photos wasn't an option when I posted the question.

Yes, I make repros for Airsoft users. The items that I make are only available through gov supply chains and therefore not available to general public through the company that makes them. I never saw the thread mentioned above until now. I was not aware the forum had a stance against repros. That being said, I do have a moral compass and do what I do with people who can't afford collector prices on products that aren't publicly available in mind. I never claim these designs to be mine, always list them as what they were intended to mimic and the company they come from. I also mark them so that it is known they are not the real product. I believe it is one thing to steal a design and market it as if it was your own work but another to credit the source of a design and only sell items that they don't even sell to the public. I do this purposefully so I can't possibly hurt their business.  People want quality repro pouches that are made in America. Not items sourced from Asia that fall apart quickly and aren't made with proper materials and construction. So I filled that part of the market. Also, I feel the need to point out that I am working on selling pouches under license with another company that currently has the right to sell repros with permission from the company you mention. Please do not judge before you know the entire story. My rule has always been "if you can buy it from them, I don't make it". I've also asked permission to make pouches in certain color ways at customer request before and honored those companies when they have said no. What I make doesn't make me incapable of contributing to this forum. I've never had ill intent behind my work. And we're I to be approached by any company and asked to stop making Airsoft repros of their gov items, I would either work out a deal or stop at their request. So with that in mind, I'd appreciate the ability to continue my membership here and to not be viewed as if I'm ripping off anything and everything. Because it's not true and not fair to view my work that way.

gearmaker.org

• gearmaker.org
  • Administrator
  • gearmaker.org
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 04:01:51 PM »
I didn't come here to be villified for the products I make.  Whether I make repros or not has nothing to do with the original topic of the post. I asked if anyone had experience bonding hypalon to velcro. To which someone asked why I couldn't sew it. And to that, the answer was, that wasn't what I was trying to accomplish and not relevant to the topic of the post. What you prefer to be known for has nothing to do with me.

Your conduct on this board has everything to do with me and others.  The company funding this board, wtfidea.com, performs work for well known brands with original designs.  When behavior like this is exhibited, we have a duty to quash it.

We are all friends here, and knowledgeable people. I have respect for everyone on this forum and enjoy learning. I simply thought someone here might have had experience doing the task before. And I also thought someone may find it useful in the future. I apologize for not providing any photos. I could have provided a link to a google pic I suppose. But I'm not using any photo sharing sites at the moment so posting photos wasn't an option when I posted the question.

Not all here are friends.

Yes, I make repros for Airsoft users. The items that I make are only available through gov supply chains and therefore not available to general public through the company that makes them.

There are reasons items are available solely through government supply chains.

I never saw the thread mentioned above until now. I was not aware the forum had a stance against repros.

Ignorance of rules and policies is not an excuse.

That being said, I do have a moral compass and do what I do with people who can't afford collector prices on products that aren't publicly available in mind. I never claim these designs to be mine, always list them as what they were intended to mimic and the company they come from. I also mark them so that it is known they are not the real product. I believe it is one thing to steal a design and market it as if it was your own work but another to credit the source of a design and only sell items that they don't even sell to the public.

Asking here about how to perform a particular operation, in the pursuit of reproducing the design of another, potentially puts us in a sticky situation as it would appear we condone such behavior.  Not disclosing your intent to use the info for said purpose does not allow contributors to make an informed decision.

I do this purposefully so I can't possibly hurt their business.  People want quality repro pouches that are made in America. Not items sourced from Asia that fall apart quickly and aren't made with proper materials and construction. So I filled that part of the market.

Everybody's hurt when a rip off is created, sold, and tolerated or even celebrated.

Also, I feel the need to point out that I am working on selling pouches under license with another company that currently has the right to sell repros with permission from the company you mention. Please do not judge before you know the entire story. My rule has always been "if you can buy it from them, I don't make it". I've also asked permission to make pouches in certain color ways at customer request before and honored those companies when they have said no. What I make doesn't make me incapable of contributing to this forum. I've never had ill intent behind my work. And we're I to be approached by any company and asked to stop making Airsoft repros of their gov items, I would either work out a deal or stop at their request. So with that in mind, I'd appreciate the ability to continue my membership here and to not be viewed as if I'm ripping off anything and everything. Because it's not true and not fair to view my work that way.

Licensed replicas are irrelevant.  The concern is entirely regarding the mental gymnastics required to justify knocking off products while implicating others.  gearmaker.org does not wish to have such personalities among its membership.   gearmaker.org has no interest in fostering the behavior.

The intent of this forum was not to help knock off the work of others.  The intent is to assist those looking to build a legitimate, profitable business.

Just Say No.