Author Topic: Storage of fabric... there has got to be a better way.  (Read 1007 times)

imcat

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 3
Storage of fabric... there has got to be a better way.
« on: October 08, 2017, 01:23:14 PM »
As the title suggests I have a fabric storage problem. Namely Cordura and mesh fabrics.

In the past has dedicated shelving for the fabrics, but after switching hobbies the shelf space was reclaimed and rolls of fabric ended up getting tucked back into corners. Now I'm trying to add some order to it and honestly running into lots of space issues. The old shelving worked... but made getting to a specific roll time-consuming and if something was on the bottom I'd rather order more then dig it out. It was a failure.

I figure many of you have figured out how to tame the fabric beast. I'm begging for help :)

Here is what I have today. I have two rolling, wire shelve units that contain small rolls and stuff I'm using right now. The rolls are bigger then the shelves and the sides of the rack provide positive retention. The problem is the racks have hundreds of pounds of fabric on them. The rest of the fabric is tucked back in little hutches near walls. Want something in the back well you have to move 30 rolls to get to it. Neither is a very elegant solution.

Examples of today's failed storage.

Narrow fabric is even worse. Rolls stacked everywhere. I'm going to get some dedicated metal shelves to better organize the narrow goods. Again I would love to see what others have done.

A few examples of webbing overflowing shelves...

Please don't ask to see the elastic and velcro shelves, they are an even bigger disaster! (...wait are we not suppose to say velcro any more?)

TLDR;  How did you tame your woven goods?

BergspitzeCustoms

• View Profile
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Storage of fabric... there has got to be a better way.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 04:09:14 PM »
I'm in the process of getting it all set up in the new room so I don't have pictures, and I'm not sure if I have as much as you do, but here's a few things that I use.

First, I made a roll rack and cutting table combo.  I only have a half-dozen patterns on rolls.  Most of the other colors and patterns are <5 yards and I keep them wrapped around bolts (from Joann Fabric, they give them and the tubes away for free) and stacked in a shelf.  It's like a bookshelf for fabrics.  No digging through piles  needed.

For Hook/Loop/Webbing/Cord/etc. I have a spool rack.  This is actually an old dowel-style shoe rack that I got for $5 from a yard sale.  It will stay on the bench next to my hot knife cutter.  Keeps everything all shipshape.

Space is a factor, funds are as well.  Sometimes, you just have to embrace the suck and dig out what you need.

imcat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 05:48:25 PM »
I made a roll rack and cutting table combo.

I look forward to seeing the pictures when its all set up.

WBTactical

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill Tactical
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 06:40:08 PM »
Mine are even worse so nothing much to add, but ah that's a very impression collection of materials you got there,

Stone

• Stone Photo Gear
    • View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 09:38:49 PM »
Can you bolt some hooks to studs and use some 1" electrical conduit hang the "most used" rolls of material, so you can easily access them? Leave the other ones stacked vertically in a corner like in your picture.
Narrow goods, same thing, hooks bolted to wall studs with conduit as a rod to simply pull out as much as you need.
Or, contact Whiskey about having him cut you a narrow goods rack 8) :
http://gearmaker.org/index.php?topic=977.msg5400#msg5400

Everything on wheels really helps transform a workspace from a rigid space into a truly flexible one, unless you want things staying absolutely static.

-Dan

imcat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 03:33:32 AM »
Good Tips Dan.

I have a new heavy duty rolling wire rack on the way. It can hold 1.8k lbs so it should be able to replace the very overloaded one I'm currently using.

I have three new wider metal shelves coming for the narrow goods. The shelves are spaced closer together so I should never have more then 5-8 rolls stacked which should make getting access to the narrow goods faster. I may mod a few shelves to store rolls vertically to make common materials easy to access.

..and new shop lights wouldn't hurt at all.

Der_Stuffz

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 01:47:18 AM »
I use IKEA Boxes to store my Stuff.

Monkeys

• MMT
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:39:44 PM »
Something a little different but cheap and helpful: I repurposed a shoe rack I got from Walmart awhile back. I hold my rolls of hook and loop on it. And some webbing as well. You can buy multiple and stack them on each other and can also remove rods as needed. The rods telescope in and out to adjust rack width. Check these out. Might not work for everyone's situation but I know I found it useful. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-4-Tier-Shoe-Rack/15566795

BergspitzeCustoms

• View Profile
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 09:58:08 AM »
Something a little different but cheap and helpful: I repurposed a shoe rack I got from Walmart awhile back. I hold my rolls of hook and loop on it. And some webbing as well. You can buy multiple and stack them on each other and can also remove rods as needed. The rods telescope in and out to adjust rack width. Check these out. Might not work for everyone's situation but I know I found it useful. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-4-Tier-Shoe-Rack/15566795

Two weeks ago I picked up a wooden one from a local individual for free, they were giving away a bunch of random stuff and it looked like an effective way to manage rolls of narrow goods. It works quite well!