Author Topic: 4088 type 12 vs type 8 for carry handles....  (Read 452 times)

imcat

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 3
4088 type 12 vs type 8 for carry handles....
« on: October 10, 2017, 04:14:46 AM »
I like 4088 Type 8 for carry handles for larger duffle type bags. It is soft, folds nice and is comfortable when there is a large load. But its a little thick for smaller bags. By comparison 337 feels a little stiff and low[er] quality when folded over and stitched to create a handle.

I'm going to put together some tool bags shortly and Type 8 seems a little ridiculous on such a small bag. I was thinking about going with Type 12. It's more then strong enough but I wonder if it will feel "cheap" or flimsy. I don't have any Type 12 on hand to play with so I thought I'd get your opinions before dropping the cash.

Carry handles will be stitched flat to the side of the bag and folded over where you lift the bag.

Thanks,
-Brian

Vanrhodes

• View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 4088 type 12 vs type 8 for carry handles....
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 04:40:01 AM »
4088 T12 is normally used as confluence wraps or buffer tape in parachute harness assemblies, it's very thin and not very rigid at all. It does also feature a thin line of red marking on each outer edge wich not all people might like.

imcat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 05:02:10 AM »
It does also feature a thin line of red marking on each outer edge which not all people might like.

That's a good point It does have a tracer on either side. The tracer adds a nice look, but point taken some people could be turned off by it. It has that same silky smooth feel that Type 8 has (same weave, finer yarn). While it is thin its breaking strength far surpasses the max load of the bag it would be attached to.

Another option, is [miss-]using 5038 type 4, which is similar to 337, but because it's thinner it has more play when folded and stitched.

Thanks for the feedback.

Vanrhodes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 05:56:17 AM »
Isnt it better to just make the handles out of T8 -even though it may seem a little silly from a durability perspective- just to stick with the style you have previously established, and to not have to add another type of webbing to the inventory? How small are the bags going to be?

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 243
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 11:15:30 AM »
Do you have any pics of your bags and how you construct the handles? I find that making a handle carry well under load is paramount. Most, if not all of these webbings will easily exceed the tensilary strength requirements, especially for a small tool bag. Using heavier duty looking/feeling materials also give a certain perception to the customer, and impart a sense of confidence and durability.

imcat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 03:47:05 PM »
Do you have any pics of your bags and how you construct the handles?

Once I start construction I'll take some pictures and post them. There is not much to the handles that's for sure, but someone may find it interesting.

Any part that the owner handles, zippers, handles, etc has to feel "right" imho.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 81
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 01:26:45 PM »
If you want something in 1", then tubular webbing (I can't remember the spec) is a good choice.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

Globe

• View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 08:33:43 PM »
Type 7 is easy to sew and comes in most military colors and is quite available, not a bad option.

Vanrhodes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 09:50:27 PM »
Tubular webbing is MIL-W-5625K.

MIL-W-4088 T17 might be a good option otherwise. 1" wide, thickness similar to that of T7 and herring bone weave.