Author Topic: Any advice on finding a good Mannequin?  (Read 493 times)

missionspec

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Any advice on finding a good Mannequin?
« on: October 18, 2017, 12:28:09 PM »
I am looking for a good Mannequin for sizing purposes.  I really only need the upper half but a full mannequin would work as well.  Anyone have any advice for good ones?  Thanks.

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 257
  • Likes Given: 51
Re: Any advice on finding a good Mannequin?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »
We've bought from this place prior.  Good service, big selection.  Pay close attention to the measurements.

http://www.buystoreshelving.com/male_displays/index.htm

Don't forget to Google "retail fixture" or "store fixture" in your ZipCode.  There are probably a few places that sell them near you.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 255
  • Likes Given: 246
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 12:59:21 PM »
This is something we are interested in as well. Need something to dress up for product pics. Maybe clear?

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 12:50:09 AM »
I've been using full body and torso mannequins for some time now. Some thoughts you may find useful:

- a white translucent torso without arms but with partial legs and the ability to stand it on a rotary platform (i.e. cheese plate) gives excellent results for product photography on a white background especially if you can place a lamp shining upwards in the crotch area. Partial legs are useful to display belts. Be sure to buy it in your Medium size - mine is a Small and some vests don't close properly on that size.

- a full size guy in flesh color is cool for static displays in the showroom or at a fair booth. Arms must be detachable because they will not be used most of the time. I bought a Large/Long (188cm) and a Medium/Medium (182cm) but didn't account for the stand and shoe height, 188cm is a giant Crossfitter in my showroom... Go for 182 and 175cm in a straight standing position. Having those two will allow you to try on your vests/belts on two customer sizes and take full gear pictures. Tape all the joints because they will come undone when dressing/undressing frequently.

missionspec

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 07:30:41 AM »
Thank you all for the replies.  Good info.

sssss

• View Profile
    • Worse for Wear
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 10:55:20 AM »
We got a couple of good mannequins from a chain store going out of business at a local mall. They sold off all of their fixtures very inexpensively.

Note that if you want something on which to pattern clothing, those are usually called "dress forms". Dress forms come in many sizes and are made for draping and pattern making. Mannequins are usually a harder plastic and made for clothing display. Their dimensions are usually not realistic for pattern making. I'm just pointing that out since you said "for sizing purposes".
Co-founder of Worse for Wear