Author Topic: Modular Gun Belt Prototype  (Read 1495 times)

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 266
Modular Gun Belt Prototype
« on: October 19, 2017, 07:40:42 PM »
This is an amalgamated design from our Renegade Belt, which was a standard rigger's belt, and elements of the previous belt system. Two belt system, although there is only one belt shown. Same concept as a some others on the market, but instead of folded 1" webbing tacked on for reduced width PALS, we are using laser cut Cordura laminate, in this case, Whiskey Two-Four's ACRONYM material. The design of the slots enables the user to weave MOLLE accessories on using the top and bottom narrow sections, or attach directly to the larger centre section. Instead of using regular Hook along the inside, we're testing out a hook/loop hybrid that will grab either. So far it's working quite well.

More info on the website: https://www.geardynamics.ca/blog/2017/10/19/modular-gun-belt-prototype

Stepan1983

• View Profile
    • SPLAV
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: Modular Gun Belt Prototype
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 12:08:40 AM »
Looks great! My questions are following:

Isnt it too expensive to use Murdock webbing when most of its length is hidden under sandwich fabric?

Another thing is I don't understand why many manufacturers cut thin lines instead of wider slots for lasercut PALS grid? I mean, if its thin, you have more stress for sandwich edges, especially if pouches have mistakes in webbing positions. Wider slots are compensating it (I used something like 2-3 mm)

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 266
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 10:47:16 AM »
Stepan,

Thanks!

The Murdock webbing is a little pricey, but it looks great when everything matches. We've got some M81 too, so we need to find some M81 laminate. The webbing is also very consistent with regards to rigidity. If Murdock made solid colour webbing in the same fashion, we'd buy those too.

As for PALS slots, in this case, we opted for slits, instead of slots, for a few reasons:

1. The total width is only 44mm and because the top and bottom are reduced, we wanted to keep as much material there as possible for strength/support.

2. We wanted the centre to be close to 1", so users have as many mounting options as possible; Through all three, weave through top and bottom, centre only.

3. We also like the clean look!

All that said, this is a prototype, so we'll gauge feedback and, if necessary, make modifications.

mogensbeck

• View Profile
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 11:48:37 AM »
Looks great! My questions are following:

Isnt it too expensive to use Murdock webbing when most of its length is hidden under sandwich fabric?

Another thing is I don't understand why many manufacturers cut thin lines instead of wider slots for lasercut PALS grid? I mean, if its thin, you have more stress for sandwich edges, especially if pouches have mistakes in webbing positions. Wider slots are compensating it (I used something like 2-3 mm)

It depends on what the customers expect and how you would like the things you sell should look like.
In Denmark I would sell a gunfighterbelt for 190USD without MIL/LE discount. And I want a good colour match for my products and the difference just using regular webbing is only aprox 7USD. I have no problems with the extra material cost for at product that looks better and I do not have to reinforce the MC Murdock webbing with 1mm plastic that I have to do with the regular webbing.

In Verdande I used 3mm for designs so it would be easier to use other companies pouches ect that uses thick webbing and Malice types. But I noticed that when using our own thin laminate backers, then the pouch had more tendency for horizontal and vertical movement.
Now it is cut with 1mm and 26mm wide so the laminate backers will sit nice and thight.