Author Topic: Hello from Ohio  (Read 898 times)

ultimind

• View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 5
Hello from Ohio
« on: October 20, 2017, 11:37:21 AM »
Hi all, I'm David. I got into making my own gear in high school when I was broke and couldn't afford the camera bags I saw in catalogs. Started making my own out of canvas on an old Kenmore home sewing machine. I work in the film industry and have found that designing and making gear is an excellent mental escape from sitting in front of a computer all day. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to this forum and the others that came before it in helping me figure out this hobby and constantly evolve my skills. I look forward to contributing what knowledge I can to help further this community!

Here is a work-in-progress of a tote bag I made for a coworker. Multicam Black Cordura with a 1050D ballistic nylon base. Interior lining is RSBTR's HyperD 300 diamond grid polyester ripstop.

mogensbeck

• View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Hello from Ohio
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 12:13:57 PM »
welcome and nice bag

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 253
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 01:28:08 PM »
Welcome aboard! Clean work!

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 04:53:31 PM »
Welcome aboard.
I really like your choice of liner material.
Keep up the great work!!
Scott

stimpy

• View Profile
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 11:52:43 AM »
Welcome, good lookin bag. Nice to see you making the most of a classic design !

ultimind

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 12:31:23 PM »
Thanks all! There's something very satisfying about creating something with your hands that makes someone else's life easier or more enjoyable. Be it mission critical gear or simply an overbuilt grocery tote.

Monkeys

• MMT
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 04:42:59 PM »
Welcome! Whereabouts in Ohio are you located? I'm just between Columbus and Dayton. Always enjoy networking within Ohio. Glad you joined the forum!

TuffPossumGear

• View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 06:44:07 PM »
Welcome from a Texan fixin to relocate to Ohio.

ultimind

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 10:38:18 PM »
Welcome! Whereabouts in Ohio are you located? I'm just between Columbus and Dayton. Always enjoy networking within Ohio. Glad you joined the forum!

We moved to Columbus from the Cleveland area this past spring. I do wish there was some sort of proper sewing supply store anywhere within a 100 mile radius!

TuffPossumGear

• View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 05:28:25 AM »

We moved to Columbus from the Cleveland area this past spring. I do wish there was some sort of proper sewing supply store anywhere within a 100 mile radius!

How do you like the area? We are going to move about 45 minutes northeast of Columbus.

ultimind

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 07:49:52 AM »

How do you like the area? We are going to move about 45 minutes northeast of Columbus.

Columbus is great. Lots to do... good bike paths, good places to eat, very diverse cultural mix, easy airport to get in and our of, you name it. Once you're outside of the metro area it gets rural pretty quick.