Author Topic: Pre wound bobbins  (Read 787 times)

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 69
Pre wound bobbins
« on: November 02, 2017, 05:57:11 PM »
Hey guys I just wanted to share my new source for pre wound bobbins.
I met the crew at GSI recently and they gave me their literature, so I put together a small stocking order to bring them in.
I have been using pre wound bobbins in my bar tacker for years, and honestly it's a huge time saver.
Full disclosure, I paid full price for these, and I wasn't asked to promote them, I am just passing on a good source.
Scott

WBTactical

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill Tactical
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pre wound bobbins
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 07:24:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing and nice to know that they have that option, what is the pricing on those?

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 08:22:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing and nice to know that they have that option, what is the pricing on those?
I just found my invoice, it looks like there were just a little over $30 per gross (144) for style A, which is very reasonable.
Scott
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:34:38 PM by SunriseTacticalGear »

flimmuur

• View Profile
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 02:34:22 AM »
Does not having sides on the bobbins affect them?  I'm wondering if I can run the Style M ones on my normal machine (Highlead 0618 SC).
Flimmuur Tactical (Cambridge, UK)
https://www.facebook.com/ftactical/

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »
Doesn't most tackers have winders that are capable of running while the machine is sewing? I might be wrong here but I believe the ones I've used for sure do, and then it's all about figuring out how to thread the bobbin prior to sewing anything.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 258
  • Likes Given: 253
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 12:40:24 PM »
You can wind while tacking on the brother KE-430 machines.

My main issue is that unless I'm assembling a whole bunch of single colour items, I'm usually switching threads around all the time, from one order to the next.

If I know I'm building a bunch of green gear, I'll prewind a few bobbins ahead of time. This is where having a box of these might be useful, if they work in my machine.

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 05:42:15 PM »
I Just ran a test with my new bobbins as compared to winding bobbins on the bobbin winder which is located on the top of the machine (juki 1900AH).
I confirmed my past results that I normally get around 65, 15/16", 45 stitch bar tacks with a bobbin that I wind myself. I was able to get between 130-140 bar tacks using the pre wound style.
This may sound trivial to some but I will explain. As a one man shop, sitting down to knock out 500 tacks is not uncommon a few times a week. Every time the bobbin runs out I have to dig out the last partial stitch and if I am winding them myself I have to put another bobbin on the winder and watch it wind out of the corner of my eye for ten stitches, which breaks my concentration and rhythm. Digging out half as many stitches and simply grabbing another bobbin from the box and getting back in my rythem is so much more enjoyable and productive.
I don't use them on my other machines because most are U style, which are pretty big. The next reason is that on some builds I sew in such a way that the bobbin side of the stitch is visible, think of sewing the flap of a mag pouch, and I want the thread to be an exact color match to the top thread.
To answer the other question, they use an interesting bonding method to keep all of the thread wraps from coming undone while in use, and still feed off of the bobbin fine.
Let me know if anyone else has questions or thoughts.
Scott
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 05:13:41 AM by SunriseTacticalGear »

WBTactical

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill Tactical
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 09:47:04 PM »
Funny how they miss the "I use them because it saves time" part, nice to know that they do last longer than machine winded bobbins.

BOgear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BOgear Website
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 08:10:22 PM »
I Just ran a test with my new bobbins as compared to winding bobbins on the bobbin winder which is located on the top of the machine (juki 1900AH).
I confirmed my past results that I normally get around 65, 15/16", 45 stitch bar tacks with a bobbin that I wind myself. I was able to get between 130-140 bar tacks using the pre wound style.

This. 100% this.

I am sceptical of purchasing pre-wound bobbins. They are expensive, we wound as we went, and frankly didn't need them as we had enough "spare" bobbins for all our colours, AND mostly ran black bobbins.

So while I don't agree with purchasing pre-wound bobbins, I have to commend you on ignoring "tradition" and using a business mindset to see what suits you best. You've looked at it from a financial point of view... even your comment about being "distracted" while a normal bobbin winds, is a cost on business due to slight inefficiencies. Well done for analysing it, and working out what works best for YOUR situation. *insert thumbs up here*   ;)

This is akin to using lasers for cutting. More expensive up front, but potential cost saving in the long run. Different strokes for different folks.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:13:00 PM by BOgear »
BOgear: http://www.bogear.com.au   |   Blog: http://www.bogear.com.au/blog   |   Instagram/Facebook/Twitter: @bogear