Author Topic: M1 en bloc pouch  (Read 208 times)

thewolf

• View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 29
M1 en bloc pouch
« on: November 15, 2017, 09:50:06 AM »
A buddy of mine asked me to make him a pouch for his M1 Garand. I didn't have an en bloc clip handy so I had to research the dimensions and design it based off that. Basically, the pouch is 5 inches wide by 4 inches tall. The clip pocket is 3 inches tall and 1.5 inches deep and 2.5 inches wide - a little roomy for the measurements I could find but they should be comfortable. This was a fun little project and I enjoyed doing it. That one flap got mushed a little funny - I didn't notice it until I took the photos.

Materials are A-tacs FG 500d, coyote hook and loop, coyote T70/#69 thread and multicam webbing. All sewn on my old Singer - I really need a new machine. This one tends to feed funny and my stitch lines aren't always straight because of it or sometimes it skips a stitch.

Stepan1983

• View Profile
    • SPLAV
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: M1 en bloc pouch
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 11:43:37 AM »
Your pouch should be 3 PALS loops wide instead of 2. Its size just aks for this

thewolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 12:20:46 PM »
Your pouch should be 3 PALS loops wide instead of 2. Its size just aks for this

Ya, it could have been. It'll mount just fine the way it is. I'll try it with 3 next time.

imcat

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 03:42:14 PM »
Sorry for the slow reply. Your pouch looks pretty good.

I think most of us started with a home sewing machine and know the difficulty of making it work when sewing many layers of Cordura and webbing. It definitely gets much easier over time.

It takes a while to learn out to lay everything out. I would highly recommend starting on paper. Sketch it out and think where stitches will show on the product face and see if you can layer so that they do not show. Eventually this will become second nature, and will serve you well when making medical kit, or complicated backpacks.

For the pouch flaps, especially if you having some issues getting the folds just right I would suggest chauffeuring the edges a little. It looks clean and hides mistakes. Starting with the fabric folded inside out (which you did) mark a line to follow around your seam allowance and stitch (as shown in green). Next trim the extra material as shown in red. Invert the flap, (optionally insert mesh or webbing to stiffen), then stitch a tight pattern around the perimeter.

For the palls grid, I would stitch your two layers of cordura inside out just like the pouch flap. Once inverted lay out your webbing and stitch down only one column across all rows (shown in green). Then fold the webbing out of the way and stitch the center line of the pouch (shown in red). This time folding the pouch out of the way and stitch the other column of webbing. Now you can stitch down the sides, [webbing and pouch sides in one pass all around] closing the bottom of the pouch by folding in the bottom of the back under the bottom stitches. Now the face of the pouch has only one clean line stitched all around (tacked on the webbing). This is the way I like to do it, others may have their own preference.

Over all awesome work. I look forward to your future projects.

These may load as tiny squares, they should be clickable.

*corrected spelling error.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:16:59 AM by imcat »

thewolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 04:39:46 PM »
Hey, thanks a lot! That makes a lot of sense. I wondered why I was always stitching over the same lines over and over again lol.

Here's some pics he sent me with the clips in the pouch.