Author Topic: Poly Grosgrain Binding Tape?  (Read 211 times)

jaYson

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Poly Grosgrain Binding Tape?
« on: December 11, 2017, 06:55:28 PM »
Jayson here and I ordered some 1" white nylon grosgrain binding tape and have not been impressed with what I received (lesson learned always request a sample first) as it is somewhat transparent and not the "solid" white I had envisioned.  I have been looking for an alternative source and so far have found nothing in Canada.  I do have some samples from Tennessee Webbing in the mail, but question if they will be what I am looking for as I was told the colouring of their webbing is "natural". 

Today I was at a local fabric store and came upon some white polyester grosgrain binding tape.  I was going to buy a couple of yards, but then thought about this website and thought I would look into it first.  So, would polyester grosgrain binding tape be a suitable alternative to nylon grosgrain binding tape?  The polyester grosgrain tape did feel somewhat like nylon grosgrain tape as it was not flimsy like grosgrain ribbon and felt very similar to the nylon grosgrain tape.

I would not be using it for military applications, but definitely rugged outdoor kit. 

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jaYson
Hold Fast!

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 243
Re: Poly Grosgrain Binding Tape?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 07:37:53 PM »
Natural is usually a light beige colour. I'd be surprised if it was actually white.

For binding straight lines and very gentle curves, I'd stick with the industry standard, mil-t-5038. It's a plain weave nylon tape. It's available in military colours from many places. Super quick google search, Tactical Trim in Germany is showing they stock white: https://www.tacticaltrim.de/Polyamid-Binding-Tape-White-1-woven-CUSTOM-CUT_1

Poly webbing and tape works too, it just has different properties than Nylon.