Professional > Concept, design, and engineering

Laptop Sleeve

(1/4) > >>

jaYson:
Jayson here and I am planning on putting together a laptop sleeve for her MacBook Air.  I plan on using a printed canvas type fabric with 1/4" padding and bind the inside seems.

I have the idea in my head (nothing complicated), but am uncertain how I go about sizing.  For example, the computer is 32.5cm x 22.7 x 1.7cm.  Would it work if I was to cut the two foam pieces (front and back) 32.5cm x 22.7cm and then add 2.5cm to the width and height to compensate for sewing inside out and then binding inside seems?  Given how thin the MacBook is, do I need to compensate for its thickness?  I have never worked with closed cell foam so this part is new to me.  Argh!  I know how simple this design is, but getting its sizing is a real challenge for me as it needs to be spot on.  Any comments or suggestions is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

jaYson

SunriseTacticalGear:
Yes, you need to compensate for the thickness of the laptop.
Can you add a simple sketch of what you have in mind, others here might be able to better give you some pointers?
If all else fails, cut your material a little large and stitch it together, with your widest stitch, then it will be easier to cut it back apart for modifications.
Scott

Gear Dynamics:
We made an iPad sleeve...havenít got around to formalizing it as a product, but Iíll try and get some pics for you. Even with the thin iPad, we needed to add some wiggle room to the sleeve.

jaYson:
Jayson here and thanks for the responses.  I will try to sketch what I am thinking, but really it is just a well, a sleeve to put her computer in. So it is a pretty simple design.  I tried to make one last year, but it was a disaster. It was shaped like an envelope, but nothing lined up properly.  I tried again and while it was more symmetrical, the sizing was off.  I have been going over YouTube, but nothing has really helped.  Given the amount of time both projects took, I am hoping to eliminate the above errors and get it right this time.  Her computer is less than a cm thick, but I now understand I need to take this into account.  What I am wondering is when binding fabric, how much 'extra' do I need to have to get a desired size?  Again this should be a simple project, but I am having a devil of  time with it.  It is rather embarrassing!

GD, please send those pics when you can.  I am highly interested in seeing them.  Thanks.

jaYson

Stone:
Are you planning to make a sleeve from 2 pieces/plaques, or 3(front/back + perimeter strip)?
What type of closure system will you use, a flap with velcro or a buckle, or a zipper?

Either way, with foam in simple projects like this,  I like to sew it into the panel it will inhabit, then stitch the assembled panels together. Then turn inside out.

Please upload a sketch or two of your design idea(s), as that will help us clarify your intent and offer suggestions on how to proceed as easily as possible  :)

-Dan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version