Author Topic: Laptop Sleeve  (Read 1298 times)

jaYson

• View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
Laptop Sleeve
« on: December 15, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »
Jayson here and I am planning on putting together a laptop sleeve for her MacBook Air.  I plan on using a printed canvas type fabric with 1/4" padding and bind the inside seems.

I have the idea in my head (nothing complicated), but am uncertain how I go about sizing.  For example, the computer is 32.5cm x 22.7 x 1.7cm.  Would it work if I was to cut the two foam pieces (front and back) 32.5cm x 22.7cm and then add 2.5cm to the width and height to compensate for sewing inside out and then binding inside seems?  Given how thin the MacBook is, do I need to compensate for its thickness?  I have never worked with closed cell foam so this part is new to me.  Argh!  I know how simple this design is, but getting its sizing is a real challenge for me as it needs to be spot on.  Any comments or suggestions is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

jaYson
Hold Fast!

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 110
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: Laptop Sleeve
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 07:08:37 PM »
Yes, you need to compensate for the thickness of the laptop.
Can you add a simple sketch of what you have in mind, others here might be able to better give you some pointers?
If all else fails, cut your material a little large and stitch it together, with your widest stitch, then it will be easier to cut it back apart for modifications.
Scott

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 249
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 07:49:06 PM »
We made an iPad sleeve...havenít got around to formalizing it as a product, but Iíll try and get some pics for you. Even with the thin iPad, we needed to add some wiggle room to the sleeve.

jaYson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 02:12:04 PM »
Jayson here and thanks for the responses.  I will try to sketch what I am thinking, but really it is just a well, a sleeve to put her computer in. So it is a pretty simple design.  I tried to make one last year, but it was a disaster. It was shaped like an envelope, but nothing lined up properly.  I tried again and while it was more symmetrical, the sizing was off.  I have been going over YouTube, but nothing has really helped.  Given the amount of time both projects took, I am hoping to eliminate the above errors and get it right this time.  Her computer is less than a cm thick, but I now understand I need to take this into account.  What I am wondering is when binding fabric, how much 'extra' do I need to have to get a desired size?  Again this should be a simple project, but I am having a devil of  time with it.  It is rather embarrassing!

GD, please send those pics when you can.  I am highly interested in seeing them.  Thanks.

jaYson
Hold Fast!

StonePhotoGear

• Stone Photo Gear
    • View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 07:21:30 PM »
Are you planning to make a sleeve from 2 pieces/plaques, or 3(front/back + perimeter strip)?
What type of closure system will you use, a flap with velcro or a buckle, or a zipper?

Either way, with foam in simple projects like this,  I like to sew it into the panel it will inhabit, then stitch the assembled panels together. Then turn inside out.

Please upload a sketch or two of your design idea(s), as that will help us clarify your intent and offer suggestions on how to proceed as easily as possible  :)

-Dan

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 10:56:17 PM »
Quick shot I had from awhile ago...

jaYson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 02:28:10 PM »
Quick shot I had from awhile ago...

Thanks!

Yeah that is pretty much what I had in mind although I was going to bind it in the inside.  I like what you have done as that looks easier and faster.  I am going to give it a shot this week and will post if I am (ahem) successful.

A few of questions though.

1. Are you using a single piece of fabric and then folding it to form the sleeve?
2. How thick is the padding and how many pieces are you using?
3. Is the Velcro flap padded?
4. Is the inside lined with Cordura or are you using a different fabric?

Again thanks for the photo.

jaYson
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:35:57 PM by jaYson »
Hold Fast!

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 11:48:00 PM »
Jayson,

1. This prototype is two long pieces of 500D, sewn very much like all the rest of our panels; inside out with the foam laminated
2. The padding is one long 1/8Ē thick piece of foam
3. The flap is integral to the body of the sleeve, so same padding
4. The inside is just 500D

Iíd change some things for if I was making another. Honestly, it was whipped up the day I was leaving for training down in Ft. Lewis...just needed somthing for the ipad.

jaYson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 06:37:42 PM »
Jayson here and I have been studying your design and am wondering when you sewed the Cordura inside out, was it the velcro flap you left open so you could turn it right side out? Did you also insert the padding here too before binding it together?  I know it is an easy design for you, but I really suck at dismantling items in my head and tend to make paper models to help better see what I need to do.

Please respond when you can.

jaYson
Hold Fast!

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 06:54:40 PM »
The foam is laminated on the outer side of the Cordura. I misspoke earlier, itís actually one long piece of fabric. We stick the foam down, sew around the perimeter, then flip right-side out (though) the flap. After that, top stitch the flap, sew the Velcro on, fold the sleeve in half-ish, stitch up the sides. We put bartacks top and bottom for strength and to hide the thread ends.

Boltripper

• View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 08:25:15 PM »
Can you explain the lamination of the foam to the Cordura? Or is this just inserting the foam into the fabric sleeve and stitching it up. I really like your ipad case and would like to start making some padded cases, but couldn't find any Cordura that was already laminated to a foam backing.

Appreciate everyones time.

John~

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 04:14:43 PM »
We use a light closed cell foam, and a pressure sensitive adhesive to permanently stick the foam to regular Cordura. The adhesive usually comes in the form of a roll and is called adhesive transfer tape. Itís very expensive, unless you buy bulk or have some sort of hook up. The key with attaching fabric to foam is finding the right type of foam, and right type of adhesion method. The test for good adhesion is that the foam should tear apart before it is able to peel away from the fabric. Most Cordura is urethane backed, which can be difficult to stick things too. Most lamination companies will only use uncoated fabric.

Boltripper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 05:54:44 PM »
Thanks so much for the information.

Best,

John-

StonePhotoGear

• Stone Photo Gear
    • View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 10:50:55 PM »
Give the basting tape from Sailrite a try. I have found it to work really well for adhering closed cell foam to urethane-backed fabrics, instead of using spray adhesives, unless I want the foam to really firm up the fabric, giving it a more paneled feel and look. Using small pieces of the seamstick tape will work well, you don't need huge amounts, so a single roll of 3/8" or 1/4"(width) can last quite a while.

3/8"
https://www.sailrite.com/Seamstick-3-8-for-Canvas-60-Yds
1/4"
https://www.sailrite.com/Seamstick-1-4-Basting-Tape-for-Canvas-50-Yds

-Dan

Boltripper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 07:59:54 AM »
Dan -

Thanks..

I ordered both of those when I ordered my first pieces of fabric to start sewing. I was only using them for seam work before sewing my zippers.. Glad to see that might work for the form as well... I'll try it!

Awesome top and thanks.

John