Author Topic: packaging and labeling your products  (Read 4934 times)

mogensbeck

• View Profile
  • Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 12
packaging and labeling your products
« on: January 27, 2015, 03:24:54 PM »
I have for a long time wanted to do a better job presenting a product we have sold to a customer then just putting it in a box/letter and ship it.

I have plans to buy a labelprinter later and would like to buy some zipbags but i can't get the quality i want in Denmark.
I saw Gear Dynamics zipbags and they look like the quality I would like to have? So where to buy them?

I also noticed Sunrise Tactical Gears little labels on his products. Where do you get these?

If you have any ideas how else to do the packaging and labeling then please share.

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 25
Re: packaging and labeling your products
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 03:16:21 AM »
For the ziploc bags, look up at Raja, I buy my bags from them: http://www.rajapack.dk/. Buy them in 2-3 sizes maximum, preferably with suspension holes if they go to a retailer.
Labels: just the same, paper labels for the bags go into a laser printer, there are also labels made from plastic that might be good for sewing on the products, I didn't experiment with that. WTF here offers laser printed Tyvek labels, these are good.
Cards: Vistaprint or Overnightprints should cover your needs.

Myself, I haven't yet found an easy way to buy the head cardboard that gets stapled on the top of ziploc bags. If someone has ideas for low volume in Europe, I'd like to hear that.

mogensbeck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 02:19:53 PM »
We had a talk with another company the makes kydex holsters and he also uses bags from raja. He was also not happy with the quality of the bags. We don't sell our products to retailers so holes in the bags would only for it to be use in our own storage room or for a display.

We used to have tyvek labels but after seing how they looked after pouches have been used we instead bought woven labels. Better quality and the price was also cheaper!

We use Vistaprint for our business cards both papir and magnets cards to hang on a refrigiator.

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 12:02:24 AM »
For my product labels I just print them on my office computer on to heavy card stock, then cut them with my hand held rotary cutter, and punch holes with a leather punch.
For my US flag labels, I purchased them online, and was asked to show credentials of my business before they would sell me a minumum of 2,000.
I purchase Iron on sheets and make my own labels for some products, the rest are labels that I purchased from Whiskey Two Four.
Scott

gearmaker.org

• gearmaker.org
  • Administrator
  • gearmaker.org
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 04:11:42 AM »
Most plastic bags are 2 mil thick.  You're probably looking for some 4 mil bags.  One can get crazy with 6 and 8 mil bags but I find 4 mil quite substantial for such an application.

For an example, check out Uline's selection of poly bags.

Amazon has numerous options available via Prime.  Amazon often times has much more favorable rates on int'l shipments :)

Regarding labels-  Are you looking for hang tags, sew in labels, adhesive labels to apply to the plastic bags?

mogensbeck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 08:02:40 AM »
It will be adhesive labels. thinking just to buy a wireless labelprinter.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 261
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 10:03:32 AM »
The bags I get locally here. I use 4mil generally, but I've used large 2mil bags just to wrap products in when they ship. 2mil would not be suitable for product display. Too flimsy. Check with your local fastener shop, sometimes those guys will use them for packaging various nuts and bolts. I'm sure they come from Uline.

As for labels, regular laser printed sticky labels are what I use. I have a local print shop that does them by the page. I could do them here, but can't be bothered. You need a good image of your logo, preferably in some vector format. It's worth it to create and retain a vector of your logo for future label, sticker or other marketing swag projects.

Martial Concepts

• Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 05:47:41 AM »
+1 for Uline bags.  I use them for work AND work.  They handle sharp edges well, and generally will not fail unless completely abuse.
If you don't try you can't fail.  If you don't fail you can't learn.  If you can't learn then Darwin is calling you.

Instagram: martial_concepts
http://martialconcepts.org (restricted at this time)

Stoner63A

• View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 09:54:04 PM »
So far I have been using a 2x3 embroidered patch for my larger items like plate carriers or chest rigs, $8each per patch. 

I think I really need to have some resin paper labels made that I can at least sew into my helmet covers since they are what I sell the most of.   
   Cheaper to have a sheet printed than pay for a special patch with the product name changed everytime. 

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 10:07:44 PM »
For labels I liked the onces that WTF (?) where doing a couple of years ago. They hold up just fine and come in a bunch of different types and sizes.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 267
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 09:56:46 AM »
Obnoxious custom printed gummed tape tops off the box nicely  ;)

BOgear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BOgear Website
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 05:36:12 PM »

Oooh! So many levels of awesome. Have been wanting to do this for a while. Care to share the source for supply? :)
BOgear: http://www.bogear.com.au   |   Blog: http://www.bogear.com.au/blog   |   Instagram/Facebook/Twitter: @bogear

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 10:01:09 AM »
I did some googling last night and found a bunch of sources. I think one quoted $50 for 1k (or 10k) yards of fairly normal packing tape with a 1 color print. I'll see if I can find it again. It's absolutely a great idea, and I think a lot of us have missed out on a bunch of exposure due to not having custom tape. If you have tags, then you should have tape too.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 267
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 10:45:10 AM »

Oooh! So many levels of awesome. Have been wanting to do this for a while. Care to share the source for supply? :)

A quick post regarding tape  :)---> http://gearmaker.org/index.php?topic=874.0