Author Topic: Juki 1281-7  (Read 482 times)

Stone

• Stone Photo Gear
    • View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 10
Juki 1281-7
« on: December 27, 2017, 01:19:34 PM »
Hey guys,
Looking through Juki's website, I came across a beefed up model of their 1181N(of which my first machine was a Chinese clone). Top and bottom feed, NOT a needle feed machine.
According to the downloadable brochure, it can come with either pneumatic or electric foot lifter as an upgrade.
Soooo, seeing that the cost for this machine is well under half of the 2810/18, what is the real reason(other than the bigger 2.7x bobbins on the 2818) for needing a walking foot unless doing super heavy work?

http://www.juki.co.jp/industrial_e/products_e/leather_e/plain_e/du12817.html

Brochure PDF:
http://www.juki.co.jp/industrial_e/download_e/catalog_e/du12817.pdf

It has a larger working area from the column to the needle, similar(and almost the same size) as the 2800-series machines, which is nice.

cheers,
Dan

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: Juki 1281-7
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 02:14:51 AM »
I've recently bought a Jack 6380HC-4Q with electric foot lift and automation. It has a similar transport system and a big bobbin. FWIW the vendor says that Jack nowadays makes better mechanics than Juki.
So far it does everything I wanted (like sewing over 10mm foam shoulder pads) so I think a triple feed has slim advantages over it and costs way more.
An unexpected bonus is that I can edge bind beautiful corners with a simple Chinese folder without changing the foot.
The big bobbin is a big advantage too.
Only issue I've had is the machine is designed for pulling thick thread from leather - the pulling action after cutting often pulls the (slightly elastic) size 69 thread from the needle eye. There are workarounds for that.