Author Topic: Electric Only Tacker Machines  (Read 603 times)

BergspitzeCustoms

• View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 6
Electric Only Tacker Machines
« on: January 12, 2018, 04:37:02 PM »
There are several other threads about tacker machines, but few really go into detail on the ins and outs of different models.  With my current situation, I'm certain I'll need one before too long, as my prototypes for certain contracts turn into small batch production for the companies.

A while ago I was offered a Singer 69-8 for just a couple hundred dollars.  Although it was within my budget at the time, I don't think I'd have been satisfied with it, especially the slower speed of the tacking process and lack of customization ability.  But that being said, I couldn't (and for the time being, still can't) afford $3000+ for a really fancy tacker.  I understand the "buy once, cry once" and "Once you go ______ you never go back" but I am looking for recommendations on specific models based on the following criteria, their relative prices, and any other information you all have.

--Capable of producing at minimum, a 1" long "milspec" 42 stitch bartack.  If adjustable for lengths of bartacks, that is ideal.  A programmable one with Box-X, etc. will most certainly be outside my current budget.
--Electronic controls only.  No air compressor needed.  Because my sewing shop is in my house and I sew at night quite a bit, I don't have the luxury of using pneumatic controls, the compressor would almost certainly disturb my wife and kids.
--Reliable, proven brand and model.  I don't want to spend more time fixing the machine than actually using it.
--From a reliable dealer, who offers solid customer service and parts.
--110V powered

I have looked at a lot of options.  None seem to fit my bill and budget.  Rather than compromise on quality or function, I figure if that is the only route to take, then saving up more to make it happen is the route I'll take.  Would rather not compromise on function.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:11:13 PM by BergspitzeCustoms »

StonePhotoGear

• Stone Photo Gear
    • View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Electric Only Tacker Machines
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:30:53 PM »
Found this one on Craigslist here in LA the other day.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/bfs/d/brother-lockstitch-bartacker/6454142558.html

I just sold my Juki LK-980 center start/stop the other night to a guy who builds skydiving gear. Otherwise I'd have offered it here to you. You'd need to pick it up though, but it might be worth the drive if you find a good machine online somewhere.

-Dan

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 249
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 10:19:01 AM »
We have that brother machine that Dan just linked to. Itís a great machine. Very easy to learn if you already have the basics of sewing on industrial machines. Saving up to buy the right one is the best option. Donít forget, most machines will likely not be set up to sew tactical gear. They will usually require a new, likely custom, clamp set for a vertical tack, which wonít be cheap. If you want a box and cross, thatís another clamp set. The machine might come with a horizontal clamp capable of doing a 1Ē tack, but it will be painful to try and sew PALS webbing. I suppose it depends on the gear you want to sew.

BergspitzeCustoms

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 12:10:52 PM »
Vertical/horizontal clamp setups are a bit of a moot point right now, as the projects I'm working on are not PALS-covered.  Slick LE carriers and such.  The company that I'm prototyping them for is fine if the prototypes are done with my current equipment, but final product and any small batches are going to need the bartacks.  Mostly reinforcement around shoulder strap joints, etc.  so the standard horizontal tack is fine for now.

One other thing I forgot to include (edited first post to show it now) is that it needs to be a 110V model.  I don't have 220V in my sewing room.  Could, in theory, add it, but would rather not have to go putting holes in walls right now.

The only tacker local to me currently is a Typical model GT-6430 D-D for $1500.  Doesn't say what power it runs on in the ad, and I haven't been able to get more details yet.  Does anyone have any experience with "Typical" brand machines?  Or this one in particular?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:13:16 PM by BergspitzeCustoms »

StonePhotoGear

• Stone Photo Gear
    • View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 01:43:09 PM »
Many industrial machines these days can be supplied in different power configurations, 110v, 230V(single or 3 phase), 400V 3Ph, etc. When contacting a dealer, explicitly state you need it to be set up for 110V with a standard US household plug(assuming that's what you're looking for).

Perhaps contact Nick-O-Sew, Collier Team(Alabama), Robeson, etc. and see what they have in terms of used machines. IIRC Nick-O-Sew had their NKS line of "Brother-like" machines. I believe Whiskey was(or still is?) running one himself. They are a little less costly than the equivalent Brother units, I believe.

-Dan

BergspitzeCustoms

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 04:25:12 PM »
Thanks Dan, already have a few inquires out and replied and waiting to hear back from a few more.  Having recommendations from people that have no skin in the game as far as the sale goes is helpful, as sometimes the dealers seem to funnel me towards what makes them the most money rather than what is best for my budget and criteria.

As it stands, since I was laid off from my biochemistry job in November, and sewing is providing for my family, it would take a long time to save up enough for a higher end machine with the bells and whistles.  I can't justify dropping 6 months worth of mortgage payments on a machine at this point.  And unfortunately, that's the way a lot of pricing looks like from dealers, even for used machines.  If those circumstances were different, saving up the extra couple grand for a top-tier tacker wouldn't be a hurdle.

StonePhotoGear

• Stone Photo Gear
    • View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 09:00:54 PM »
I know it might be above your current budget, but I found a slightly used Brother KE430F down in Texas:

https://houston.craigslist.org/for/d/brother-ke-430f-industrial/6444011821.html