Author Topic: Sewing thread expiration date?  (Read 342 times)

WBTactical

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill Tactical
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 0
Sewing thread expiration date?
« on: January 17, 2018, 06:14:30 PM »
So while I was browsing for some thread on feebay, I found a listing for several cones of brand new threads and couldn't help but noticed that the label have a expiration date on it. So just curious does sewing thread really have expiration date? Or would they would last indefinitely as long you store it properly?

Granted I had several cones that I'm using right now that are manufactured in the early '00 with zero issues, so I'm not too worried about it. Thoughts and opinion?

StonePhotoGear

• View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Sewing thread expiration date?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 10:31:31 PM »
My only guess is that the manufacturer would guarantee the thread to surpass a particular standard of testing until the printed date. After that it might still be technically fine, but you don't have the manufacturers warranty, so to speak.

stimpy

• View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 10:41:54 PM »
I have received some large cones from someone that did not use the color anymore for a long time.
when i was sewing with them i noticed small fibers coming off. And the thread (which was a tan color) looked whiter on the finished product then on the roll. So i stopped using it.
I never knew there was such a thing as an expiration date for threads. So when i get back home and will check to see what it says

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 81
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 03:34:24 PM »
It's like food, it's a best before but not necessarily bad after. Manufacturers guarantee towards the specs it's produced after.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

Martial Concepts

• Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 08:05:27 PM »
And like food, a lot of whether or not it spoils, depends on storage.  Was it exposed to prolonged UV, solvent, fumes, etc. 
If you don't try you can't fail.  If you don't fail you can't learn.  If you can't learn then Darwin is calling you.

Instagram: martial_concepts
http://martialconcepts.org (restricted at this time)