Author Topic: Cutter for Elastic Webbing  (Read 678 times)

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 253
Cutter for Elastic Webbing
« on: February 02, 2018, 01:42:39 PM »
I'm looking for a good cutter that can be used for both regular nylon webbing and polyester elastic webbing. I'd prefer it to heat seal the ends and be automated, but I'm open to manual cutters too. Recommendations?

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 262
  • Likes Given: 51
Re: Cutter for Elastic Webbing
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 02:37:50 PM »
Sheffield HC-xxx

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 03:24:39 PM »
Novatech makes some fantastic hot cutters. I bought one that looks like this...http://www.lowyusa.com/alphc.  It was manufactured by Lebec, and I found him very easy to deal with. I modified mine to extend the handle towards the user, and rotate it 90 so your hand is further away from the heat source. I also built a wider base which incorporates a ruler and stop for accurate repeatable cuts. I also got a second cutter set up to the holes in belts and dog collars. It was custom modified by the manufacturer at purchase to be able to swap between 1/4" and 1/8"  hole burners spaced 1 inch apart.  I found the hot cutters to be a great addition to my shop, but I'm also not a full time user. If I were, I'd go the automatic cutter route, where I can set it up and walk away while it does it's thing.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 03:15:51 AM by Misadventure Gear »

BergspitzeCustoms

• View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 07:51:23 PM »
I also built a wider base which incorporates a ruler and stop for accurate repeatable cuts.

Post a picture of this, if you wouldn't mind.  I recently added a similar cutter to my shop and have wanted to do something like this, as well as make a foot pedal mechanism of some sort so that I can speed things up when I have a lot of webbing to cut.

Stone

• Stone Photo Gear
    • View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 09:16:24 PM »
I also built a wider base which incorporates a ruler and stop for accurate repeatable cuts.

Post a picture of this, if you wouldn't mind.  I recently added a similar cutter to my shop and have wanted to do something like this, as well as make a foot pedal mechanism of some sort so that I can speed things up when I have a lot of webbing to cut.

Google "miter saw bench" and you'll get an idea. This can be done on a table, just put some wood equal to the height of the base on the manual cutter, then mark out lengths for various cuts. Having a fence along the back side really helps with making square, precise cuts. Use a string line to make a nice long straight line when tacking down some 1/2"x1" trim strips to the base material. MDF is cheap, or a piece of plywood(again equal to the thickness of the base on the cutter). This way you can also attach an A-clamp to it as a positive stop, for repetitive cuts done quickly.

-Dan

BergspitzeCustoms

• View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 10:20:39 PM »
Thanks Dan.  Considering I've been living in the middle of a DIY renovation for 9 months now, I am very intimately familiar with my miter saw bench.  I have several ideas of how I would do it, just curious as to how he did his in particular.

As to the OP's question...I really haven't seen any automated cutters aside from Sheffield.  I'm sure there are others out there, but every shop I know that uses an automated cutter has a Sheffield.  However, I have heard from some people that theirs doesn't like elastic as much.  Not sure if it's a matter of tuning it or different settings from elastic to standard webbing, but they said the elastic was getting inconsistent lengths.

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 02:45:44 AM »
My mods weren't anything fancy. I just used scraps I had lying around. The base was a piece of 2x10. I routed out a slot for the cutter to sit flush. On the right, I routed another slot for the yardstick to sit in, also flush. I also cut and routed some short lengths of 2x4 to support the yardstick and webbing. I mix and match these as needed to clamp a short piece of aluminum angle iron where I need to set my length stop. I also used some more angle iron to make a backstop so my cuts are perpendicular. In use, I feed the webbing in from the left ( after giving it several minutes to heat up). I lower the blade for a few seconds and I get a nice clean cut. The cutter gets very hot, and the nomex flight gloves help protect my hands around the hot blade.

No thanks to Photobucket, I had to open an Imgur account. Hopefully, these will show.

https://imgur.com/gallery/JR9Fa

ocmike

• View Profile
    • OC Tactical
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 02:33:41 PM »
Got a Sheffield HC-810 recently.  Game changer!  Webbing, elastic, loop you name it.  Love it so far.

https://www.facebook.com/OCTacticalGear/videos/vb.367099833328633/1639584772746793/?type=2&theater

ManMarVelez

• View Profile
  • Liked: 32