Author Topic: Bonded Polyester Thread  (Read 378 times)

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 253
Bonded Polyester Thread
« on: March 01, 2018, 04:51:28 PM »
Who is using bonded poly and what are your sources for military colours?

Need:

Black
Coyote
Tan
OD
Ranger

Likely all in Tex 70 / Size 69

Stone

• Stone Photo Gear
    • View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Bonded Polyester Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »
I am, primarily for threads and seams that will get lots of sun exposure, as my stuff is photography-oriented gear for the most part. Remember that poly has better UV resistance than nylon, albeit a lower strength rating. I found dealing with A&E to be almost maddening. I couldn't get a local sales rep to return any of my calls, they only want to sell me full case quantities, when it takes me around 1yr to use up a standard 1lb cone per machine. I also use their bonded nylon. The issues with my bartacker seem to have settled, IDK what was going on, but now that I am letting the needle cool off between tacks(especially when doing heavy lays), that seems to be really helping. One of the benefits of using a digital machine with speed control. Also, buy a mini desk fan and point it at the needle area when you're doing a bunch of tacks. Keeping that needle cool is imperative to quality stitching and less thread breakage issues.

John Howard Company here in CA, I believe, stocks most(if not all) of those colors you mentioned. As others have alluded to, their house brand thread is re-badged A&E. Stickers on the bottom of (some) of my cones look exactly like A&E stickers, type/font, etc. Pricing is very competitive.

http://www.johnhowardcompany.com/

I primarily use black thread, but give them a call and they should be able to answer your questions.

cheers,
Dan

WBTactical

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill Tactical
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 11:16:35 PM »
Robinson Anton is much easier to deal with than A&E (even though they are owned by them), their rep actually return emails in a timely manner and their minimum is only around $50 US dollars. I think there is one in Canada, see if they have some.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 12:56:43 PM »
I've got a few leads now, so we'll see if any pan out. My A&E rep has now committed to sending a cone for testing, so it's just a matter of locating the correct colours. Apparently there is no Coyote Brown poly, which is problematic. No official Ranger Green either.

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 01:19:19 PM »
Who is using bonded poly and what are your sources for military colours?

Need:

Black
Coyote
Tan
OD
Ranger

Likely all in Tex 70 / Size 69
What is promoting you to move away from bonded nylon thread?
I have some bonded Polyester, but normally use it on my "truck tarp" type of work which will be outside all of it life.
Thanks, Scott

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 03:14:21 PM »
Scott, just testing it in our tacker.