Author Topic: Ugly aid bag inserts  (Read 524 times)

thewolf

• View Profile
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 31
Ugly aid bag inserts
« on: April 08, 2018, 04:39:46 PM »
I bought a ctoms aid bag while they were on deep discount and didn't want to spend $35 per insert so I made my own using scrap I had laying around. My binding technique is f-ing terrible - I used 2 different binder attachments that I either 1. need more practice with, or 2. just suck on their own. I ended up just using binder clips and and pinching the tape the best I could...

Anyway, here they are - simple quad fold pockets that velcro into the interior of the ctoms bag. They have a little handle with loop to label and remove from bag.

Dimensions are 6x9x3

Lessons learned:
1. plan out the assembly of pouches
2. binding sucks
3. plan out the assembly of pouches

If I would have just added 1 inch to the dimensions I could have saved a lot of ass pain and just folded the edges together and had a much cleaner product. But, since these are for myself, I really don't care to much as long as they hold up and work.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 04:41:47 PM by thewolf »

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 27
Re: Ugly aid bag inserts
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 11:46:33 PM »
Yup.... You need more practice on your binding.  ;D.  I'm guessing you're using one of the generic folders to bind with.... That's what I use anyway. Are you also using a binding foot on your machine?
One that looks like this? https://www.hobkirk.co.uk/industrial-sewing-machine-binding-feet-for-walking. It really will make your binder work SO much better!!!  Also set your binder to sew closer to the edge of the tape. You're centered, which makes it all wonky. I usually set my binder up to sew only 1/8" from the edge of the tape (not the fold side). Using the foot I showed, you just push the edge guide of the folder right up against the foot, and it will be perfect. With a little more practice, you'll be rocking on the binding.

thewolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 03:15:13 AM »
I'm using a Singer 15-91 non-walking foot machine with a generic, single fold, swing-away binder attachment. It would work perfect for about 6 inches, then the fold would become uneven and pull the bottom fold of binding toward the fabric...I think it was because I was feeding the tape from a roll instead of cutting it to my desired length first - meaning the tension on the tape was too great causing it to feed funny...I'll have to practice with it more. I also have a foot attachment that says it can fold 1 inch binding tape but it absolutely DOES NOT and that foot was a major PITA.

I hear ya on the stitch line being center instead of 1/8" from the edge. I was doing that (probably cant see the sections in the photo) but again, my presser foot wasn't grabbing the binding and material together so I had spaces where I sewed the binding but not the fabric (which was another headache ripping those seams and patching with more binding tape lol). So I moved it over to stitch center line.

ultimind

• View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 10:47:43 AM »
Keep a little tension on the binding tape as itís feeding into the attachment. Iíve found when I was experiencing the bottom side moving around on me that applying a little tension made it feed perfectly. My bindings were infinitely better after that. And now Iím looking for a cheap dedicated cylinder arm machine for binding because itís a huge pain to change the feeddogs and feet on my 111W every time I need to bind.

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 12:52:28 AM »
If the binding tape is moving around in the binder, you may not be using the right size tape....i.e. 7/8" wide tape in a one inch binder. More likely, the mouth opening of the folder is too large for thickness of your binding tape, allowing the tape to wander. I had one folder that I couldn't get to work well until I used some small pieces of blue painters tape to make the U-shaped mouth of the folder (where the binding tape exits the folder) narrower. On the other hand, that particular folder works great when I'm using  thicker webbing to bind with instead of the usual 5038 gosgrain. Also, make sure the folder is as close as possible to the needle. You might need to get a foot without a "toe", which is pretty common.

I started with a 15-91 made in 1947. Great little machine. I tried using the binding foot that is a one-piece foot.... It sucked badly. Then I switched to a generic folder that screws on to the right of the needle with better results. It was still finicky though. After a while, I got better with it. Just hang in there.

thewolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 07:43:26 AM »
After some investigation I think I need to use some painters tape to make the slot a little smaller. It's the right size for my binding - 1 inch. I think it's too loose. I'll have to do some more practice.