Author Topic: Packaging for shipping soft goods  (Read 170 times)

ultimind

• View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 5
Packaging for shipping soft goods
« on: April 26, 2018, 07:43:02 AM »
As of right now everything I'm producing tends to fit inside of Size 5 (10.5" x 15") padded mailers and those tend to work out just fine. I've got one more box of them to go through and I'd like to look at what other options are out there. My finished goods are flexible and lightweight and looking at how some of the mainstream bag companies are shipping their goods, I've seen a number of them using these poly mailers https://www.amazon.com/Metronic-Envelopes-Shipping-Waterproof-Tear-proof/dp/B00OLOGXWU/ Which are 1/4 the price of the bubble mailers and seem like a good value for shipping softer stuff. I've even gotten a Timbuk2 backpack direct from them shipped in one of these types of mailers. Theirs had some nice artwork on the outside of the packaging that was a complete bike map of San Francisco - nice touch.

Would love to hear what others are using to ship their finished goods, and whether domestic/international shipping plays a role in what you choose. Thanks!

StonePhotoGear

• View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Packaging for shipping soft goods
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 08:02:51 PM »
Boxes only from now on. I've had poly bags get cut, almost as if they were intentionally slashed with a box cutter to investigate what's inside. Product got damaged, and that cost me money. So I use boxes, and customers pay the extra cost. I'm not in business to lose money on damaged product(and reputation due to sh** like this happening). If you're in the USA the USPS flat rate boxes help keep shipping costs easily estimated.

ultimind

• View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 08:49:01 AM »
Boxes only from now on. I've had poly bags get cut, almost as if they were intentionally slashed with a box cutter to investigate what's inside. Product got damaged, and that cost me money. So I use boxes, and customers pay the extra cost. I'm not in business to lose money on damaged product(and reputation due to sh** like this happening). If you're in the USA the USPS flat rate boxes help keep shipping costs easily estimated.

Thank you, This is good insight. Definitely makes me re-think the poly bags.

stimpy

• View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 10:56:56 AM »
I have about 4 different sizes of boxes. I only ship nationally 95% of the time. And over here (belgium) box size doesn't matter. It's weight based for the cost. Those poly bags are cheaper. And reduce time spend packaging. But you need a thermal label printer. I print my shipping labels on a regular printer. And taping that to a polybag sucks.

Personally i like the cardboard boxes more. No risk of things getting cut up.either by an over enthousiastic client or a shipping company.