Author Topic: The "Perfect" Mag Pouch  (Read 5259 times)

Diz

• View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
The "Perfect" Mag Pouch
« on: November 27, 2014, 03:54:01 PM »
I am currently working on a double mag pouch design, which can utilize our tuck tab closure system.  Ideally I want a pouch for 2 x 30-rd mags, P-mag or equivalent, which will retain the remaining mag (without re-closing the flap) when one is pulled out.  It would also be nice if the flap could be adjusted on the fly for either single or double mags.  Interested in any ideas you guys might have.

My dilemma is this.  Our tuck tab closure system works very well for a single mag pouch.  But it presents problems for a dual mag pouch.  With both mags seated, you have no worries.  But with one mag withdrawn, you have a retention problem for the remaining mag, especially if you don't have time to reclose the flap.  Traditionally this has been handled with a piece of 2" elastic, acting as a constricting band to keep the pouch tight on the remaining mag.  My inclination is to use a tape tunnel and shock cord for this purpose.  Secondly, I'd like the top flap to be adjustable for either a single or double mag.  With Velcro this was relatively easy, simply by extending the Velcro field and making the flap work at two different "heights".  My problem is with the tuck tab design, the tuck tunnel is at a fixed height, so the flap cannot be adjusted.  Unless you "shingle" two different tuck tunnels, for the different "heights", as Matt from "Jerking the Trigger" suggested. 

If anyone would like to add to this discussion, I'd be interested in hearing what you'd have to say.   

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 267
Re: The "Perfect" Mag Pouch
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 09:54:04 PM »
What about making the flap adjustable at the rear? The simple solution would be to use Velcro along the back inside of the pouch to allow the lid to be adjusted up and down. You could also work in the option to completely remove the lid and replace with bungee top.

Diz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 05:51:57 AM »
Thanks brother, that is one option.  I'm trying to stay away from Velcro to keep it as simple as possible.  I have considered making the flap adjustable though, possibly by enclosing it in between the base layers, but instead of stitching down, running it on shock cord adjustment. 

And yeah, making it open top, bungee tab retention would solve it, but I want to keep a fully enclosed pouch for use in the bush.

This has been a tough one.  I'm on my fifth iteration as we speak. 

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 07:11:03 AM »
If this is making no sense, then it's because I have a bad hangover;
How about a lid which has an elastic piece at the bottom, so that basically it is stretched when it covers 2 mags, and unstretched when it covers 1 mag?
That makes it adaptable on the go. If you figure out a way to do it with shock cord, then you don't have to worry about the products wearing out, as it's easily replaced.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 10:35:44 AM »
Attaching the lid with elastic is interesting. You'd need to play with the lengths and find a good balance but it might work. Certainly outside the box.

Diz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 06:22:38 AM »
Yeah that was one idea.  If you leave a slot in the top edge of the base for the flap to adjust up and down, then run a piece of shock cord through a web loop at the bottom of the flap.  The shock cord could run down to the bottom of the base, and then out through a grommet to a toaster lock.  In this way, the length of the flap could be adjusted for single or double mag, especially on the fly.  When combined with another piece of shock cord, running in a tape tunnel, horizontally around each mag pouch, you would about have it covered. 

I like shock cord better than elastic, because in my experience, elastic has one tension setting, and wears out over time, whereas the shock cord is adjustable and replaceable.

I think this concept will work, it's just that I'm trying to embrace the KISS principle as much as possible.  This will add time and expense to the production model.

Striking a balance between the capability of the rig, and the cost/complexity of the build is a hard task.

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 08:12:39 AM »

Striking a balance between the capability of the rig, and the cost/complexity of the build is a hard task.

As I read the thread, I too have ideas of an adjustable flap. How about a flap with two tunnels running through it fore to aft, so the shock cord can be laced through it and returned to the rear to the adjustment point.
All the while trying to hit a competitive price point.

Diz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 06:31:09 PM »
Yeah I've done something similar to that as well.  Add a 2" piece of webbing to the back of the flap, and run shock cord through the tunnel.  The cord can be anchored through a tape loop on the base. 

ManMarVelez

• View Profile
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 04:58:32 PM »
Hi, guys, I am newbie. Here is my universal poach, designed for two AK or RPK mags,  also, people use it for Steyr77 and AR-15.
You can see cord. When pouch carry one mag, and the cord is tightened, pouch is slightly deformed, but hold mag firmly.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 12:03:47 AM »
@Diz, any progress with your adjustable double mag pouch?

Disturbed

• View Profile
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 01:52:48 AM »
Is the pouch to be standalone (MOLLE on) or fixed?

I had to do a bit of a search to look up the tuck tab and from what I could see its a reinforced tongue feeding into a groove similar in concept to a Swedish hook.  My thoughts would be to keep the lid fixed at a median point between double/single and have to tab on a shock cord system where it was under load when securing two magazines but just stretching enough to be taught when securing one.

Anything else I can think up becomes way too construction intensive and limits its marketability.

wheels1758

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 11:01:03 AM »
If the pouch is designed to attach to PALS webbing:

What about making the pouch and flap as separate pieces. Attach an adjustable slide to the back of the pouch, and a piece of webbing to the rear end of the flap. Adjusting from 2 to 1 magazine would be simple, as you just pull the loose end of the webbing. Adjusting out, from 1 to 2 mags, would be a little more tedious, but I'm sure it could be worked out.

Additionally, you could swap the permanently attached slide for a G-hook, and just put a loop/tunnel on the back of the pouch. That would make removal of the flap easy. You also gain the ability to mis-match flaps and pouches (for style points), or replace JUST the flap if damaged.

This wouldn't necessarily be more simple than what you are working on, but I would think making the flap/pouch as separate pieces could improve production.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 01:52:52 PM »
I think he's looking for something more seamless and low profile.

WPJ

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 07:28:48 AM »
Diz, I just watched a video on your Bandelier to see how your tuck tab works.  Very cool indeed.  My thought would be to simply add another tuck female section slightly lower which would pull the flap down which would inherently force the remaining mag back and in place.  Second though would to be to place the flap on a ladder lock on the back side so after you close it you could simple pull up on a tab at the top rear of the pouch to tighten it down, could all place it horizontally near the top like the elastic closures but have the elastic replaced by webbing and a ladder lock and they are easy enough to open one handed to out the second mag back in.  However none of my options would be automatic. What about using a kydex insert for the second mag.

This just popped into my head.  You could maybe have a price of webbing on the inside sew at the bottom middle and then up over the mag and tuck tabed on to that to secure the second mag, this way the end user would need to rely on the same muscle memory to get the second meg out except that tue flap would have to be opened first, you might even be able to make the back of tue second tuck tab work like the old CF pouches which had that the webbing lifter method, you pull the second tuck tab up and pull a little harder and the mag also raises a bit to help the grab