Author Topic: Figuring out a first proper industrial sewing machine and binding setup..HELP!  (Read 194 times)

TuffPossumGear

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 39
Hey, folks. So after reading literially every single thread in this subforum on this subject, I figured I'd go ahead and make a post here asking for opinions, advice, 2 cents, etc.

My dilemma is two part. First is upgrading machines and secondly is adding bar-tacking capabilities to my shop.

Right now I have one of the infamous SailRite LSZ-1 machines.  Just not cutting it as far as power, speed, room, and just plain outright usability. Definitely outgrown it. I have the el cheapo non-90 degree binder they sell with it and am struggling to make it work with 5038 raw edge binding. Being able to do professional grade binding in a timely manner is crucial to the designs I have stuck in the prototype stage until an machine upgrade happens.

So I am looking at buying a proper Juki or similar machine to take this Tuff Possum Gear thing from a side gig to full time job.

What I need:
 - Servo
 - Synchronizer
 - Power enough to punch through 1000d, 500d, 55301 webbing, 17337 webbing, #10 YKK coil zipper, 1/4" closed cell foam, HANK, and such in amounts as you would expect in constructing a decent size "rucksack"
 - Walking foot
- decent amount of room between the foot and arm. Not long arm size, but at least more more the 6.5" the SailRite has.
Kinda need to be able to backtack, but that does NOT need to be an automatic thing. Autothread cutter is a bonus that would be great but probably take it out of my budget.

Also trying to figure out whether I would be better off trying to modify my SailRite LSZ1 into a dedicated 90 degree binder for doing 5038 raw edge binding, or would I better off figuring out a swing arm attachment for the new machine. Thinking the latter might be better.

In an ideal world, I would buy a Juki LU-2210-6 with a custom 90 degree raw finish binder, and a Brother KE430D for the tacker.

BUT alas, 19 year old kid bootstrapping a business means I got to work within my budget. Really need to keep my machine, table, thread stand, synchonizer, servo, and 90 degree binding attachment definitely under $3k shipped to Ohio. If I can keep it under $2500 even better.

So far the best candidate, looks to be a Juki DNU1541S from Nick-O-Sew and get em to add the stuff I want. But the reason for my post is to ask what you guys think I ought to look at doing?

Also for a bar-tacker. N/S, 1" 42 point, center start/stop is all I really urgently need, Although being able to do 1.5" and 2" bar-tacks would be nice. Probably need to keep it under $2k to $2.5k. I don't need or want a pattern tacker at this point.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 03:31:20 PM by TuffPossumGear »

ultimind

• View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 5
Bob at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machine or Peter at Globe Sewing in Cleveland have your solutions for you. No need to get it shipped up from Tennessee. Peterís got a warehouse full of machines ready to go. Prices very much like Nick-O-Sew. And best part is you can walk away with a machine on the spot. Iím in Columbus and as far as I know Globe is the closest industrial shop to me. I picked up a servo and various attachments from him a few weeks ago.

TuffPossumGear

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 39
Bob at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machine or Peter at Globe Sewing in Cleveland have your solutions for you. No need to get it shipped up from Tennessee. Peterís got a warehouse full of machines ready to go. Prices very much like Nick-O-Sew. And best part is you can walk away with a machine on the spot. Iím in Columbus and as far as I know Globe is the closest industrial shop to me. I picked up a servo and various attachments from him a few weeks ago.

Awesome! Great to know. I am like an hour north-east of Columbus, so even closer to Cleveland than you. Thanks for the heads up!