Author Topic: WTB: 1" Right Angle Binder for Juki DNU-1541S  (Read 1981 times)

ultimind

• View Profile
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 5
WTB: 1" Right Angle Binder for Juki DNU-1541S
« on: May 04, 2018, 09:38:22 AM »
Looking for a source for a decent 1" right angle binder for the Juki DNU-1541S. There's a couple on eBay for $119 but I'm not sure how good/no good those are. If anyone's got one laying around I'd be happy to buy it off you!

Thanks!
David

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 269
Re: WTB: 1" Right Angle Binder for Juki DNU-1541S
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 10:24:39 AM »
To set a 1541 up properly, you’ll need more than just a bolt-on binder. I would contact an attachment company that will make you something professional grade. eBay is usually just junk from China.

To get the best binding performance on a 1541, you need to get the mouth of the binder as close to the needle as possible. To do this the binder is best mounted to a modified needle plate, which is used in conjunction with a modified feed dog and special binding feet.

Unfortunately the 1541 is not an ideal choice to set up as a binder.

Bentneedle

• View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »
That's interesting that a Juki 1541 is not the best choice for a binding machine; so what machine would be better for a binding set-up.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »
With the 1541 or similar machines, in order to get the mouth of the binder as close as possible to the needle, you need a cut away needle plate. The feed dog also needs to be cut away, to accomodate the depth of the binder mouth. Because the binder can only be mounted in a "fixed" position in relation to the needle, and the nature of how the machine feeds with it's walking feet, it will never be in the optimal feeding position. Below is a 1541 set up as a binding machine. People do set these machines up like this and they will work OK.

In my opinion, the most ideal set up is one where the binder can be made to move in unison with the machine as it feeds. This offers the most consistent presentation of the binding tape as it leaves the mouth of the binder, and the work is immediately under the needle for the next stitch. Certain flatbed machines can be set up this way, but more common are cylinder arm machines. Some quick googling results below.

Flatbed:

Cylinder Arm:

ultimind

• View Profile
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 07:19:35 PM »
To get the best binding performance on a 1541, you need to get the mouth of the binder as close to the needle as possible. To do this the binder is best mounted to a modified needle plate, which is used in conjunction with a modified feed dog and special binding feet.

This is the setup as I have it on my 111W machine. I swap all the above mentioned components to get my right angle binder going. It's a solid 6-7 minutes to swap the set. And depending on how the machine is behaving that day it can be much longer to get everything dialed in just right. And I'm probably doing the most difficult types of bindings on the worst possible machine - interior compound curves on a flatbed machine. It's challenging to say the least. A dedicated cylinder arm binding machine is certainly on the short list of equipment to invest in next. In the meantime I've gotta use the best machines that I have access to.

BergspitzeCustoms

• View Profile
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 07:46:36 PM »
Man, that 1515 with the walking foot/binder/knife setup is SLICK!  Haven't ever seen that type of combination before.  I feel so primitive now.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 08:48:07 AM »
This is the setup as I have it on my 111W machine. I swap all the above mentioned components to get my right angle binder going. It's a solid 6-7 minutes to swap the set. And depending on how the machine is behaving that day it can be much longer to get everything dialed in just right. And I'm probably doing the most difficult types of bindings on the worst possible machine - interior compound curves on a flatbed machine. It's challenging to say the least. A dedicated cylinder arm binding machine is certainly on the short list of equipment to invest in next. In the meantime I've gotta use the best machines that I have access to.

If you contact a good attachment company, they should be able to help you out. We had the exact one from the picture above made by B&J Attachments (http://www.bjattachments.com). They might be cheaper for you as they are in Canada. I wouldn’t waste your time trying to find something on eBay. Expect to pay a few hundred dollars. You could also reach out to Tennessee Attchemnt Co. they seem pretty reputable. Although we’ve never bought anything from them.