Author Topic: Primary Mag Pouch Development  (Read 4574 times)

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 116
  • Likes Given: 76
Re: Primary Mag Pouch Development
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 03:01:54 PM »
For AK magazines you should reinforce internal side walls. It will destroy the elastic webbing.
That explains why the "mag taco" uses injected molded side panels that the shock cord laces through.
I don't have a picture, so you will have to do your own Google search.

Scott

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 07:55:47 PM »
The other benefit to the plastic side walls is that they keep the pouch held open for reinserting. No doubt that the Taco is a great design, but I think it can be made better. For example, I've seen the shock cord get hung up on stuff, even get hooked on mags as they are coming out of the pouch.

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 09:05:48 PM »
Currently, I only make mag pouches for AR-15 and AR-10 (or garand style) mags.  Don't get me wrong, I love the AKs, and I've got a few in a couple different calibers.  When I design a mag pouch for a customer, I don't know if they will be using surplus mags, GI mags, or polymer mags.  I also don't know if they prefer to hold their mags in the bullet down, or bullet up orientation.  This is less problematic with most US designed weapons.  AK style mags have a large lug on them.  This can cause a lot of wear on mag pouches.  Depending on the customers preference (bullet up/down), it can also cause loose fit. 

For most of my customers, I make my single mag pouches with PALS webbing on the front, and a bungee retention strap.  I sew the strap out of a 6 inch strip of 1 inch webbing folded in thirds.  It's bulky enough to grab with thick gloves on.  I use 18 inches of bungee, and tie both ends in a loose overhand knot before shipping and instruct the customer to do some testing, and pull the knot tight once they have found the correct fit.  This lets people adjust for things like ranger pulls and personal preference. 

Most of my dual mag pouches, I make with a flap and velcro closure.  The theory is that if they exhaust their single mag pouches or "quick reload" pouches, they can fill their single mag pouches from the dual mag pouch.  I have enough length and velcro on the strap to fit two mags with ranger pulls, and if the user takes a mag out, then can still snug it down and put the velcro together to secure the mag to their kit without elastic webbing across the mag pouch.

That's the way I do things, and I will admit there are probably better ways out there.  Between a full time job, making my own gear, and filling orders, I don't have a huge amount of time for research and development.  Currently, I've kind of succumbed to the fact that most of my customers will be people who like the gear I build for myself.  Two "how I do" photos are below.

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/twowaytrauma/media/photo%203_zpstz86x8o6.jpg.html?filters[user]=143351251&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/twowaytrauma/media/photo%201_zpsymsrjznp.jpg.html?filters[user]=143351251&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

Stepan1983

• View Profile
    • SPLAV
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 01:46:49 PM »
Another problem with AK that side walls should continue down to the bottom of the pouch, if you have lower corners cut or using a horisontal elastic or webbing loop that holds magazine inside the pouch, there is a risk of stucking (big metal hook that is used to hold magazine in rifle). This thing also important for SVD (and SVD mags have even more aggressive shape).

Also if you are using magazine divider in the middle, try to stitch it to the bottom also. If you put magazine with the lid down and cartriges up, the lid can stuck.