Author Topic: Laser cut cordura durability  (Read 329 times)

bravodelta

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 25
Laser cut cordura durability
« on: July 06, 2018, 10:03:28 PM »
So I have the opportunity to get access to a laser cutter for a project... I currently don't have any laminate fabric and only plan on using the cutter for cordura fabric.

my question is is how durable is using Cordura for Molle without any sort of laminate backing?

I know I've seen it done before where it looks like the Cordura was laser cut and then sewn onto something else.

I'm just experimenting right now and want to know if anybody has any suggestions..

I'm looking to make some Molle backers for pouches and I just want to know how well is going to hold up as a lacing system.

Cheers
As a sysadmin my next project is to network my sewing machine.

https://www.facebook.com/MICGear

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 72
Re: Laser cut cordura durability
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 07:53:55 AM »
I don’t think a single layer of 1,000d will hold up, as there is no real backbone to the material and the nylon will have a lot of stretch. That being said, I have laser cut it while proving patterns prior to cutting the more expensive laminated material, but it looked too flimsy to even consider sewing to a project for use.
I have seen backpacks that have a laser cut Molle panel on the front and it is also sewn above and below the cut outs, which leads me to believe that they are joining it to a stronger backing material. It looked labor intensive to me, but for small projects you might try some sort of iron on polyester backer, since polyester has less stretch and is laserable.
When you have proven your patterns, Whiskey Two Four sells laminated material in “less then full roll” quantities.
Just my opinions, Scott

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 261
  • Likes Given: 257
Re: Laser cut cordura durability
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 10:14:33 PM »
When you see the laser cut PALS with stitching above and below, you're looking at a laminated material and the stitching is just a redundant reinforcement. I don’t know of any company that is laser cutting standard Cordura and then sewing it to another material. Not only would this be flimsy but the Cordura would fray too quickly, not to mention you’d need to mirror all the cuts in your backer material or your PALS wouldn’t work.