Author Topic: When did you know it was time to go all in?  (Read 286 times)

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 72
When did you know it was time to go all in?
« on: August 03, 2018, 09:37:01 PM »
I have a question, when did you know it was the right time to go full time in the sewing industry?
So far I have been sewing as a side business since 2012, lately it is standard to sew or prep packages to ship until 11:00 pm, Iím not complaining but juggling two jobs is beginning to wear on me.
My wife and I recently sat down and looked at our monthly home budget, and it kinda scared me, since it almost looks doable.
Please let me know what led you to sew as a full time job if you had to make the transition from a traditional job.
Thanks, Scott

BergspitzeCustoms

• View Profile
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: When did you know it was time to go all in?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 11:47:41 PM »
First thing:  There is no substitute for doing what you love.  Granted, I had the decision made for me, when I was laid off from my biochemistry job Nov. 2017.  Other job opportunities that I was perfectly qualified for didn't pan out.  So I took that as a sign that my plan to go "all-in" at the end of 2018 needed to be accelerated.  It was rough for a few months.  But I can honestly say that I was never happier with my outlook on the future because I could see the potential converting into reality.

One of the things I had started doing to prepare to go all in was have a higher percentage of my business be prototyping/R&D for others, as well as figuring out an established product line.  I was doing about 80% custom one-off work, 20% contract prototypes, and I wanted to change that to be the opposite.  You have to know where your profit:time ratio stands on different things and work to optimize it.

I realize that I'm an outlier and not a very good example. I was only "all-in" for six months before the job offer from Eagle Industries came along, which I believe was also a result of going all-in.  That wasn't part of the plan though ;) I had done a LOT of planning, and even though things weren't 100% ready to go when it was time to go all-in, the fact that I had a plan, both short and long term, meant I was less worried than if I was just winging it.

Scott, I'm happy to chat about this in greater details. Shoot me a PM if you'd like, and we can set up a time for a phone call.  I can always pass off a prototype contract or two to you, if you're interested, to help you jumpstart things.

Thr3Six

• View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: When did you know it was time to go all in?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 05:44:38 PM »
I have a lot of time and effort put into what I'm doing, but I also have to balance it with my full time job working 45-50 hours a week.  By the time the weekend rolls around all I want to do is decompress.  Plus I'm still part-time military so I have to take into account my next deployment.  Leaving a $75,000+ year job to sew full time isn't practical for me at the moment.  Not while I'm doing the sewing, website, and admin stuff by myself at least. 

www.gearby3six.com