Author Topic: Strong adhesive tape for pre-assembly steps  (Read 418 times)

Stone

• Stone Photo Gear
    • View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 10
Strong adhesive tape for pre-assembly steps
« on: August 06, 2018, 04:35:50 PM »
Hey all,

Need to bond 1000D-1000D face to face, face to rear side of fabric, and wrong side to smooth polyester seatbelt webbing.

Ideally for use in a dispenser gun. 1/2(12mm) or 3/4"(18mm) widths ideally.

Open to ideas, but this needs to be a permanent, ultra high tack bond, used for pre-assembly before sewing.

t.i.a.
Dan

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 72
Re: Strong adhesive tape for pre-assembly steps
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 06:19:47 PM »
Dan,
Will you be sewing through the tape?
Check out Sailrite and their seamstick product, I use the 3/8 wide for canvas, which is really sticky and can be sewed through.
Scott

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 267
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 08:26:10 PM »
3M ATG transfer tape.  It's double stick tape on a roll which is easily and precisely applied to a surface with their ATG 700 tapegun.  I burned up many rolls as a Michael's Arts and Crafts certified picture framer.  There are different grades and one of them is particularly tacky.  Check 3M converters and Amazon for available widths.  Widths up to 1" in 1/8" increments are common.

Take your chances with knockoffs.  3M ATG 700 guns run.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Adhesive-Applicator-Dispenses-rolls/dp/B071R98DMJ

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Adhesives-Tapes/Industrial-Adhesives-and-Tapes/Adhesive-Transfer-Tapes-Double-Coated-Tapes/ATG-Tapes-Applicators/

Stone

• Stone Photo Gear
    • View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 09:13:05 PM »
Hey Ryan,
I ordered up a Uline branded ATG gun (part #: H-4730 ) and some 1/2" rolls of tape (part #: S-3055 ) this afternoon. Will arrive tomorrow, so I will report as soon as I have tested it for my particular application.

---

Scott,
I have a roll of the 1/4" seamstick. Didn't seem to work all that well unfortunately. I'm using HLC 1000D, which has a very slick, quite glossy PU coating, so it might not grab as much to that as with a duller finish (like Brookwood soft stuff).

----

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm still open to others if anyone might have one

sodjer

• View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »
hi dan ,I have been using mammoth tape ( it comes in 1/2 inch and 1 inch width ) ,I don't know if it's available stateside ,but it works well with webbing kydex and cordura ,it takes a final cure after 24 hours and is easy to sew through.

Alex

• View Profile
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 01:36:48 PM »
We are looking to start using transfer tape. Can someone recommend a model/part # and place to buy from? Looking for 1/2" and 1/4" wide options.

So far we have tried 3M Scotch 924 ATG Tape: 1/2 in and it works ok. Note that we ordered it from amazon and the sticky side was opposite to what the tape dispenser loading tutorial videos showed. I know there are a lot of counterfeit products on amazon so just wanted to give everyone the heads up on this.

Hoping to find a stronger tape that can hold nylon fabric together and is easy to sew through with a reliable source to purchase from in the united states.