Author Topic: Organizing and storing parts, hardware, etc  (Read 299 times)

Stone

• Stone Photo Gear
    • View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 10
Organizing and storing parts, hardware, etc
« on: February 08, 2019, 08:53:26 PM »
Hey all!

I'm asking for some input, suggestions and/or recommendations on how best to store parts in an organized, somewhat "categorized manner. In my case, I need to store plastic and metal hardware. Up until now, I have been using small plastic tubs from walmart(yay for the 6 pack for $5!). Anyhow, I'll be looking to start stocking more items during this year, as design adjustments and new products hitting the market will require such. Well, I want(actually need) to get more organized while I can. So I'm in the market for options.

My first thought was those plastic stackable bins. Of course they come in a myriad of sizes, colors, shapes, etc. However, I cannot see any of them actually being able to lock together, to create a solid stack. My next thought was the flat fold cardboard parts bins, they are not designed to stack, but a single layer of cardboard in between each layer shouldn't be too hard to actually stack them.

I will be utilizing steel tracking from Costco, as I already have this in my shop, so my ideal solution would not be self standing, but be used in conjunction with the shelving I already own.

cheers,
Dan

thewolf

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 33
Re: Organizing and storing parts, hardware, etc
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:15:13 AM »
I'm using several 4 drawer clear plastic storage "towers". They are stackable and large enough to organize my zippers, plastic hardware, metal hardware, hook and loop, scrap fabric, and whatever misc stuff I have laying around. The downside is that they aren't very sturdy, at least 2 of the ones I have aren't. I don't know where they came from as I found them in a dumpster and just bleached and washed them.