Author Topic: Bobbins Clip | 3D Printed  (Read 567 times)

BLACKFOLIUM

• View Profile
    • BLACKFOLIUM
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 12
Bobbins Clip | 3D Printed
« on: January 20, 2019, 04:18:33 PM »
Hi all guys,

not a rocket sience, for sure, but i wasn't aware about bobbins clips before.
When I ran my first big production, I needed an huge amount of thread filled bobbins. I tried to stock them in different ways to prevent the tangle of thread beetween bobbins, without fortune.

The better solution that i found was to lock in place the thread with an elastic, but it was a bit complex and a slow operation.

So i decided to print a small clip with a simple design that can embrace the bobbins and prevent unrolling of threads.
After that i discover that they already existed.

Anyway... this is the result: tiny object for an huge improvement

I made bobbins clips for all our machines ( Alder 167-373 / Alder 69-373 / Brother KE-430D ) so if someone want to print them, let me know, i leave you the .STL file
Hope to help someone , have a nice day.

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
    • Misadventure Gear
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 30
Re: Bobbins Clip | 3D Printed
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 11:06:03 PM »
Nice idea..... My K.I.S.S. solution is to wrap the tail of thread halfway around the bobbin and tug firmly. The thread will seat itself in between the other thread on the bobbin and hold tight. When it's time to load your bobbin case, simply drop it in as normal. Pulling out a tail for the top thread to grab will unseat it from the threads, and you're ready to go. Same technique will also work for cones of thread if you wrap it around the base where the thread meets the cone.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:01:37 AM by Misadventure Gear »

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 11:47:10 AM »
Nice idea..... My K.I.S.S. solution is to wrap the tail of thread halfway around the bobbin and tug firmly. The thread will seat itself in between the other thread on the bobbin and hold tight. When it's time to load your bobbin case, simply drop it in as normal. Pulling out a tail for the top thread to grab will unseat it from the threads, and you're ready to go. Same technique will also work for cones of thread if you were it around the base where the thread meets the cone.
I have been doing this little trick on my bobbins for years, when I first seen you share this information. I have been using rubber bands on my cones, which can sometimes be a pain in the butt. I will try your cone trick and see how that works. Thanks for sharing those little nuggets.
Scott

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 266
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 12:53:24 PM »
For cones, If it isn't being used for a while, or being stored, I find the best way:

- Create a loop by running the thread back in the opposite direction it is wound
- Leave enough "tail" to reach all the way around to the other side and pass through the loop
- Make a simple half hitch around the loop and pull in the direction the thread is wound
- When it's time to use the thread, you simply pull the tail in the opposite direction and it will loosen up

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 10:07:55 AM »
Cut a slit (pliers are great) in the bottom of cones and lock the thread there.
I also use the tug on bobbins.
At work I have a bobbin tray since I have 20+ different colors all lined up.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

BLACKFOLIUM

• View Profile
    • BLACKFOLIUM
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 10:14:54 AM »
A lot of interesting solutions guys! Thanks for sharing!

OOT: Do you wind all the bobbins before starting work or you wind a single bobbins, when is empty do you replace it with the full one and put the empty on winder?

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 266
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 11:27:01 AM »
Pre-wind everything.

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
    • Misadventure Gear
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 07:38:45 PM »
I prewind lots of bobbins in various colors, and store them on a magnetic tool holder stuck to the upright on my thread stand.

N8Smith

• View Profile
    • STRATUS ARMAMENT
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 11:18:04 AM »
I pre-wind multiple colors and keep a bobbin case per machine. I like the clip idea for smaller volume work though.