Author Topic: New guy  (Read 121 times)

slowmoguy

• View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
New guy
« on: March 04, 2019, 10:57:47 AM »
Hello, I am active member US military. Use gear every day. Interested in learning about making my own. I can think of multiple improvements over issued items and well.. I like multiple 'high speed' companies.. though nothing seems 'perfect' for my ideas.

Looking to get into making small numbers of items. Friends, family, coworkers. Nothing large scale. No interest in that.

I am already intending to spend the next few weeks reading tutorials and researching. I am thick skinned and potentially even more thick skulled. =) tell me truth, I will not cry.

Was thinking about buying a sailrite fabricator.. however, if someone has a good used machine for starting - let me know. I may be interested.

Things like the laser cut molle look really neat, but I wonder if it really is any 'less weight'..

I hope to learn enough for making strong and usable equipment. After a few quick glances, there is large amount of knowledge here.

I will be looking for more informations.. curious about laser cutting, hypalon/csm versus traditional nylon webbing, etcettera.

Not to rub anyone wrong or stub toes.. 'hooah'.

Thank you all for allowing me to be a member of this community.
SlowMissouriGuy

gearmaker.org

• gearmaker.org
  • Administrator
  • gearmaker.org
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 40
Re: New guy
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 01:07:50 PM »
Welcome aboard!

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 268
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 02:16:49 PM »
Welcome!

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 02:28:16 PM »
Welcome!

The Sailrite looks like a painted Typical GC6-7-D (which is the same as Tacsew T-111) with some minor modifications to it. If you have $1500 to spend, there are better options out there. Unpainted these machines run for less than $1000 with a servo, but without the Sailrite posi-pin (which I don't think you'd value as much).
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
    • Misadventure Gear
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 03:44:22 PM »
Welcome aboard!!!

slowmoguy

• View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 05:00:33 PM »
Essal, I heard those sailrite clones are just that. Low quality. Is the juki that much better for cost?

I am still researching

BLACKFOLIUM

• View Profile
    • BLACKFOLIUM
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 06:01:49 PM »
Welcome!

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 10:59:31 AM »
Essal, I heard those sailrite clones are just that. Low quality. Is the juki that much better for cost?

I am still researching
You'll find that a lot of machines are just clones. Even the big brands seem to knock each others off. I'm just no fan of paying premium for something that isn't significantly better than others.
I suggest that you read the threads in the Workspace section, and if it doesn't make you any smarter, then feel free to start a specific thread about it.
http://gearmaker.org/index.php?board=4.0
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

TuffPossumGear

• View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 05:58:34 PM »
Welcome aboard! My first "heavy duty" machine was a SailRite LSZ-1. Gonna be honest, I am not 100% sold the brand. Lots of great condition, used, but much better machines out there for around that price range, from my understanding. I would call Nick-O-Sew up or Facebook message them and ask them what they have for your needs in your price range. They are a popular dealer of all things new, used, and refurbished sewing machines. Based out of Tennessee. Very good about that kind of thing.

WBTactical

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill Tactical
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 10:26:46 AM »
Welcome aboard, you will find a lot of useful info here.

Nothing wrong with keeping it as a hobby until you are ready to take it to the next step, don't try to turn it into a full time gig right away because of peer pressure.

Yes you gotta have a tough skin to be around the forum, it's a really crowded market and you have to know who to trust or who to turn to for criticisms or advices.

My feelings regarding Sailrite is pretty mixed, mainly because I got the LSZ1 and was not really impressed with it. There are plenty of decent compound feed machine at the price that they are asking for (Juki, Comsew, etc). 

Laser cut....it's neat and it will probably save a lot of production time, I just don't have the volume to justify the investment and since you are just starting out neither should you.