Author Topic: Lightburn Software - For Laser Cutting  (Read 1289 times)

Globe

• View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 10
Lightburn Software - For Laser Cutting
« on: April 02, 2019, 12:44:11 PM »
Is anyone familiar with the Lightburn software that can be used to run laser engravers?

https://lightburnsoftware.com

I have a Maker Space near me that has 4 lasers. My membership is contingent on whether or not two of their machines can cut military weight fabrics and laminates. The power settings look appropriate. But Im unfamiliar with the software that runs the cutting process.

My understanding at the moment is that Lightburn is the only option for designing and cutting materials with their machines. Is anyone familiar with, and/or have tips and tricks to offer?

If I do move forward with a membership, I will be sure to report back my experiences.

Thank you,
Globe

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 78
Re: Lightburn Software - For Laser Cutting
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 02:07:50 PM »
From my understanding, Lightburn is an American, upgrade control software for Chinese lasers using the Ruida based controller.
Which offers some design elements, but is mainly for setting up your file for cutting. I could be off on my assessment, so if someone has more to add, please do.
A 40 watt plus tube should be plenty of power to cut fabric and laminates on a CO2 laser, more power will cut faster. You will run tests to determine your power level and speed for each material.
I do my design work using a 2d cad program, then import it as a DXF format into the laser using its software. From that point I easily set up my nesting, speed and power levels.
Once you start to cut with a laser you wont look back.
Scott

Globe

• View Profile
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 02:55:20 PM »
As far as the laser goes, I think I will he pushing the lower limit of this laser using to 40-50 watt range. The examples I have seen from the group is cutting through 1/4 wood (unsure exactly which type). I think they said the big machine could do up to 200 watts???

Alex

• View Profile
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 09:11:03 PM »
There is a great user group for lightburn on facebook. Join up and check it out. I've heard it's a good piece of software that has great support and ongoing development.

I'm planning on switching to it in the near future.