Author Topic: Box Pouch Construction Issues.  (Read 205 times)

jaYson

• View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
Box Pouch Construction Issues.
« on: April 14, 2019, 04:25:14 PM »
Jayson here and I am having issues when sewing pouches.  I am really frustrated as I know this is not rocket science, but my pieces never fit together.  After having minimal success over the year, this weekend I decided I was going to figure this skill out.  I took apart an old MOLLE pouch and studied how it was assembled.  I watched some videos on how to sew corners and was confident I knew what I was doing.  So I attempted to put together a Kifaru Skinny Mini type pouch.  Skinny Minis are 11"x 3"x 2.5".  They have six rows of MOLLE on the back and the inside is lined with pack cloth so they are pretty straight forward.  I made my patterns and gave myself a seem allowance of a 1/2" (12" x 4" x 3.5").  I put together the MOLLE fine and even lapped the zipper - something I have never done and was extremely please with how it looked.  I then sewed the zipper piece with the bottom piece to make the "ring". This is where it all fell apart.  When I went to clamp the sides to the ring, I had huge puckering.  For this project I used the strategy of snipping the middle of the ring and marking the sides to help everything line up.  Still, puckering.  So I cut a 1/2"off the side and while it did fit better, it did not fit in place properly.  Can anyone suggest what am I doing wrong?  Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

jaYson
Hold Fast!

mogensbeck

• View Profile
  • Liked: 92
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: Box Pouch Construction Issues.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 03:09:42 AM »
Do you have some pictures?

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 09:02:56 AM »
You are probably measuring it wrong. Measure along the line of where the seam is to be sewn, not the edge of the fabric with seam allowance- to get the proper circumference.
If your front piece is 5x5 + .5" SA, then the circumference is 20 (5x4), not 24 (6x4). For your desired 11x3 footprint, it's 28" circumference, and not 32" as I assume you have used.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

jaYson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 07:28:17 PM »
Measure along the line of where the seam is to be sewn, not the edge of the fabric with seam allowance- to get the proper circumference.

Jayson here and are you saying that I only make my "ring" the size of the actual pouch size and not the size with the added SA?

If your front piece is 5x5 + .5" SA, then the circumference is 20 (5x4), not 24 (6x4). For your desired 11x3 footprint, it's 28" circumference, and not 32" as I assume you have used.

I am uncertain with your math.  If I want the pouch to be 5x5, I would add 1/2" SA to each side so I would cut out a 6x6 square.  I do not understand how your circumference is 20 and not 24.  For my Skinny Mini, the pouch was to be 11x3x2.5.  So I cut out two side piece that were 12x4 - which included 1/2" SA.  Are you saying that when I put the zipper ring together, it needs to have a perimeter of 28?  Please respond.

jaYson
Hold Fast!

TuffPossumGear

• View Profile
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 05:47:10 AM »
Measure along the line of where the seam is to be sewn, not the edge of the fabric with seam allowance- to get the proper circumference.

Jayson here and are you saying that I only make my "ring" the size of the actual pouch size and not the size with the added SA?

I am uncertain with your math.  If I want the pouch to be 5x5, I would add 1/2" SA to each side so I would cut out a 6x6 square.  I do not understand how your circumference is 20 and not 24.  For my Skinny Mini, the pouch was to be 11x3x2.5.  So I cut out two side piece that were 12x4 - which included 1/2" SA.  Are you saying that when I put the zipper ring together, it needs to have a perimeter of 28?  Please respond.

jaYson
If I understand @essal correctly then:

Correct on the first question. For a pouch that is 5"x5" with 1/2" seam allowance, you would cut the front panel 6"x6" but your "ring" would only be the
(the finish height x 2) + (the finish width x 2) or in this case 20"

Believe me, I quickly learned this the hard way
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:49:24 AM by TuffPossumGear »

jaYson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 04:47:23 PM »
So to clarify, the ring is the same perimeter as the actual perimeter of the pouch. And when putting it together, I must remember to add a one inch SA on the end of the zippered part of the perimeter and a one inch SA on the non zippered part as they need to be sewn together. Correct?

Jayson
Hold Fast!

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 07:19:41 AM »
You measure the circumference along the line you are sewing, and not on the edge of the SA. Your seam allowance is actually completely irrelevant to the measurement of the circumference. The seam allowance disappears into the seam, so you should never measure anything on the edge of the seam allowance. You can use whatever seam allowance you want and it will never change the circumference.

In this photo, the grey box is your desired finished size (pattern piece), and the white frame is the seam allowance (cut piece- what you cut).
- The box is 5x5 + SA
- The spine pieces are 5x3 + SA
- Put the spine pieces together and you'll have a 20x3 grey box. It will never be 24.

In your case, yes, I am saying that the circumference should be 28". Did you use 32? Or how did you calculate your circumference?
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

jaYson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 05:00:43 PM »
Jayson here and it worked! My mistake was that I was making the ring the perimeter that was the side plus the SA. I cut my sides down and the pieces fit like a puzzle. And while there are many errors with my finished product, it definitely resembles a Skinny Mini. I will make a couple dozen more which should hone my skills. I cannot thank all of you enough!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 05:05:40 PM by jaYson »
Hold Fast!

TuffPossumGear

• View Profile
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 05:59:57 PM »
Awesome! Glad to hear