Author Topic: Presser Foot Size  (Read 90 times)

jaYson

• View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
Presser Foot Size
« on: April 16, 2019, 05:12:59 PM »
Jayson here and what size presser Foot do you use? I have the one that came with my machine, but understand it is possible to get different size ones. If this is true, would getting a different size foot make sewing particular SA easier?  Please respond. Thanks.

Jayson
Hold Fast!

Stone

• Stone Photo Gear
    • View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Presser Foot Size
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 06:18:29 PM »
I have about 5 different presser feet I use on my needle feed machine(my primary stitcher). The most commonly used are the standard width presser foot, and the 1/8" spring-loaded edge guide foot(for top stitching).

I keep a a 1/8" edge guid foot on my walking foot machine as well(usually used for edge binding work), as I run a second line of stitching on the binding, to simulate "double needle" binding.

Works for me. I use a magnet guide to determine seam allowance, which is aligned with a strip of tape on the bed of the machine.

When I finally get around to upgrading to a fully automatic walking foot as my main stitching machine, I'll install a flip-up edge guide to use in place of the magnet.

-Dan

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 07:38:24 AM »
I use the stock one that came with my machine. It's .25 on the right and 3/16" on the left.
I also have a zipper foot, which basically gives me 1/8 on the left and .25 on the right.
But they don't change the seam allowance. The zipper foot just lets me get closer to the zipper teeth, the SA stays exactly the same.

Needle plate markings, magnetic guide or tape are common ways to set up guides for SA.

Google "industrial needle plate" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Imgur isn't working for me right now so I cannot upload a photo for you.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
    • Misadventure Gear
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 12:15:03 AM »
For my Walking Foot machine, I have the stock center presser foot with the hole for the needle, plus for the rear walking foot, I have the standard double-toed foot. Same dimensions as Essal. I also have left and right single-toed zipper feet, which will let me set my edge guide right up to the inner foot to sew 1/8" in from the edge. I use these a lot!!! One of my machines has the spring loaded edge guide foot. It works, but I prefer a standard foot and swing-away fence over it. I also have a selection of cording or piping feet which are grooved on the bottom to accommodate sewing down piping. I've only rarely had need of these feet, but they have helped with some repairs. I've thought about including cording on some of my bags seams, but haven't pursued that yet.

frozen-stitches

• View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 06:18:57 PM »
I have a standard, left and right edge guides in 1/8, 3/16, 1/4”, L-R zipper, cord or welting feet in normal and the small size, a foot that is hacked off on the left side, and just got the swing arm seam allowance guide.